Thread: ZA stays connected to an unknown IP

Shawn Davis Guest

Default ZA stays connected to an unknown IP

Hello,

yesterday I updated to the latest version of ZA free. I have been using an old version for the past two years, with no problems whatsoever.
    The new version works fine, with just one issue that keeps me unsettled.

Upon launching, zlclient.exe starts maintaining a https connection to address 95.100.149.68 for no apparent reason. It wasn't happening with the previous version.

Any idea why it does that? It's not automatic updates as I have them set to manual, plus they connect to a completely different address which also actually resolves to update.zonelabs.com, unlike the IP above which doesn't seem to have any hostnames associated with it.

Shawn Davis Guest

Default Re: ZA stays connected to an unknown IP

I have rebooted twice or thrice since the time I posted at first and ZA doesn't seem to do it anymore.. I'm still quite curious what it was though

Hi!
    it is a akamai server (normally used as mirror by many software) probably is the smartdefense feature in the new ZA that controls which ever program is run with a central database of known good and known bad applications. Or it could be the ZA toolbar if you have installed it. Normally this should not be a forever link unless you are blocking ZA from connecting and then ZA get confused. Finally it could be also a software installed on the system that use it (you see ZA since it is filtering all calls from the system).

For knowing for sure you need to contact ZA technical support (link in my siognature). But ZAfree does not offer official support. So, either you keep playing with it, install the old version or you remove it and find something else that does not cause unwanted connection.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Shawn Davis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!
    it is a akamai server (normally used as mirror by many software) probably is the smartdefense feature in the new ZA that controls which ever program is run with a central database of known good and known bad applications. Or it could be the ZA toolbar if you have installed it. Normally this should not be a forever link unless you are blocking ZA from connecting and then ZA get confused. Finally it could be also a software installed on the system that use it (you see ZA since it is filtering all calls from the system).

For knowing for sure you need to contact ZA technical support (link in my siognature). But ZAfree does not offer official support. So, either you keep playing with it, install the old version or you remove it and find something else that does not cause unwanted connection.

Thanks,
    Fax
    thanks for the reply

I did not install the toolbar, but the possibility of it being related to smart defense advisor crossed my mind as well
    and yes the connection stayed open (in "ESTABLISHED" state, not close_wait or anything) for quite a long time - about 30 minutes, without any apparent reason, I'm sure nothing was blocking it

also I'm a little confused as to what you meant by "you see ZA since it is filtering all calls from the system" - as far as I remember I don't recall seeing any network connections made by a ZA executable whatsoever (other connections than the one at hand), and I manually check network connections every once in a while every day

anyway, as I mentioned seconds before you posted, ZA doesn't seem to create those connections upon launch / reboot anymore.. it's really strange

Could be perfectly normal and by design but only ZA staff can confirm (all users here). So either you trust it or removed it. I can't offer more explanations.

Shawn Davis Guest

I'll let it be for now and hopefully won't see anymore suspicious activity :))

thanks for your time

You're welcome

Thread Information