Thread: DHCP requests not getting through

Shawn Davis Guest

Default DHCP requests not getting through

Hello,

For over two years now I have been experiencing issues with my ISP's DHCP being unreliable, seemingly timing out at random
    it has always worked fine at the computer startup (meaning it leased the IP with no problems and 100% of the time), but the chances of a successful leasing renewal after the system has already started were like fifty-fifty

only recently have I discovered that my ZA free was to blame (it didn't affect leasing at computer startup because ZA launches after logging into windows, while the IP gets leased before that)

the problem is, I just can't seem to troubleshoot it

the ipconfig /renew request always goes through successfully if I lower the internet zone security from High to Medium - obviously this would point at an incorrect trusted zone assignment, however my DHCP server's address is configured properly in the trusted zone (which is set to medium security all the time)

on top of that I also have both "allow outgoing dhcp on high setting ..." options enabled in the firewall

with these settings, DHCP cannot be contacted like half of the time (e.g. I can contact it for 2 hours and then the two next hours it keeps timing out)

would be grateful for any ideas

Default Re: DHCP requests not getting through

The settings you suggest seems ok. As you as you start customing firewall options then you risk to make the wrong choice and originate the problem.
    If you are connecting via a router then ensure your LAN is set to trusted and not internet. For the rest ZA ha no known issue with DHCP if configured correctly. It may be a conflict with other tools on the system.

Internet zone should have no effect on DHCP whatsoever. This point to a incorrect configuration. DHCP is more related to the Trusted zone.
    ZA drivers should start before even you connect. What you see opening after is the GUI. If not, your ZA is not working as it should or you are lunching it manually?

Also check the ZA logs for errors or blocked connections. This should help to underdstand the issue.

Fax
    P.S. You may want to remove and reinstall ZA with default settings and test again your DHCP leasing.
    Last edited by fax; November 13th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Shawn Davis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    The settings you suggest seems ok. As you as you start customing firewall options then you risk to make the wrong choice and originate the problem.
    If you are connecting via a router then ensure your LAN is set to trusted and not internet. For the rest ZA ha no known issue with DHCP if configured correctly. It may be a conflict with other tools on the system.

Internet zone should have no effect on DHCP whatsoever. This point to a incorrect configuration. DHCP is more related to the Trusted zone.

ZA drivers should start before even you connect. What you see opening after is the GUI. If not, your ZA is not working as it should or you are lunching it manually?

Fax
    P.S. You may want to remove and reinstall ZA with default settings and test again your DHCP leasing.
    I did a clean reinstall yesterday, and connection to DHCP was unreliable even with unmodified settings - just like over the past two years, I was only able to contact the DHCP server with Internet security set to less than High

I'm not launching ZA GUI manually, it has a startup entry in registry
    vsmon.exe gets started automatically as well, as a service, so you probably got a point there when you say it's starting even before logging in, I overlooked that

I'm not connected via router, just a cable modem, the IP address assigned to me is public
    the network adapter is set to Internet zone
    Last edited by Shawn Davis; November 13th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

Hi!
    ensure your DNS and DHCP IPs are set as TRUSTED into the firewall section --> Zones, that the trusted zone is set to MEDIUM. Double check you have a localhost entry (127.0.0.1) set to TRUSTED. Ensure that system programs have the default settings in ZA program control (do not remove server rights to the internet if there, eg. svchost.exe). Check the ZA logs at the time of disconnection for something been blocked. Then add it to the trusted zone. See page 200 of the manual for a detailed step-by-step guide on the above. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...ser_manual.pdf

Again, as already said there is no known issues with ZA and DHCP, it must be something at your end. Either a specific configuration with your ISP or a conflict with running software.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 13th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.

Shawn Davis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!
    ensure your DNS and DHCP IPs are set as TRUSTED into the firewall section --> Zones, that the trusted zone is set to MEDIUM. Double check you have a localhost entry (127.0.0.1) set to TRUSTED. Ensure that system programs have the default settings in ZA program control (do not remove server rights to the internet if there, eg. svchost.exe). Check the ZA logs at the time of disconnection for something been blocked. Then add it to the trusted zone. See page 200 of the manual for a detailed step-by-step guide on the above. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...ser_manual.pdf

Again, as already said there is no known issues with ZA and DHCP, it must be something at your end. Either a specific configuration with your ISP or a conflict with running software.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Hello,
    DHCP, DNS and localhost are properly set up in the trusted zone, which is set to Medium
    svchost has all access allowed, no other system processes have asked for an access permission since the time I installed ZA two days ago
    no information gets logged upon a failed DHCP connection attempt (in nether Program nor Firewall tabs)

I'm going to be reinstalling my system in a couple of months so I guess I'll just endure until then, and hopefully the issue won't be present in the fresh system installation

Ok ... good luck.

Closing this thread since we said all what could be said. Don't hesitate to PM to have it reopen or open a new thread for any other ZA product related issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information