Thread: Logging question

ianjoshua Guest

Default Logging question

ZA Internet security version 9.3.037.000
    Windows XP SP3 Media Center

My goal - I need/want to be able to see all of the outbound connection attempts from my child's computer even if it is not in violation of the parental control settings or otherwise worthy of a program alert etc.

My current understanding (of course, since I am new to this product everything in the following list could be completely wrong) :

1) expert rules have the ability to log any traffic that matches the rule
    2) I believe that I have shown to myself that the expert rules get applied after the parental control rules so anything I allow in an expert rule will not override something that is blocked via parental controls so making an allow all that logs all should create a log of all outgoing connections but still leave the parental controls in place.

Now for my questions - Are these two assumptions are true and if they are where are the logs stored and can they be redirected automatically to a network location?

Thanks for your help and patience as I learn more about this product.

Ian

Default Re: Logging question

Sorry, I don't think this can be achieved by ZA. You need a dedicated screen/key/site/logger and parental control. You could see if NetNanny could cover your needs.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ianjoshua Guest

okay, well a firewall that won't log connections is a bit sad

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoshua View Post
    okay, well a firewall that won't log connections is a bit sad
    I'm sorry, Zone Alarm was not designed to Spy on your child..

You need to look for a dedicated screen/key/site/keylogger and parental control program. You could check out programs like NetNanny or K-Nine, that lets you secreatly spy on your kids..

ianjoshua Guest

So rather than telling me why a rule that 'logs' doesn't really mean log all I get is the vibe that I am a meanie because I want to use those darn parental controls that are part of the application to 'spy' on my kids.

Apart from what you say it is trying to make this program work the way it is advertised because when this program allows proxies to work when you select the parental control to block proxies then it would be nice to be able to look at all the outbound connections so that I can lookup the IPs and see what needs to be added to a manual block list ... and yes it did allow some proxy sites to work even when they were parentally controlled to block.

And if the software has parental control on it then I am sorry it is meant to do some "spying" ... to use ya'lls terms. Although I will still refer to it as parental controls.

And I stand by my other statement that a firewall that won't log connections isn't much of a firewall.

Sorry, there may be a misunderstand of the logging options in ZA.

Logging in ZA is functional to the security of the system. ZA does log suspicious program activities, virus and malware, system operations, unsolicited incoming calls, etc.

ZA is not designed to log user activity and parental control in ZA does not offer this feature, it is designed only to block the access to undesirable sites. I am very sorry, but ZA cannot provide what you are asking for as already stated in the original response, this is by design. You need a full monitoring software rather than a simple parental control.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 20th, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information