Thread: Why doesnt IE8 appear in the Program Control Programs List?

cwha Guest

Default Why doesnt IE8 appear in the Program Control Programs List?

November 29, 2010

In Windows 7 Ive just installed ZoneAlarm Pro 9.3.037.000 using the recommended option, declined the Toolbar, Set SmartDefense Advisor to Manual, left Program Control set to default "medium" and Program Control to default "off", and am running in Learning Mode.

I note that Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in Program Control Programs List and wonder why.

Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    ZoneAlarm Pro version: 9.3.037.000
    TrueVector version: 9.3.037.000
    Driver version: 9.1.522.000

Default Re: Why doesnt IE8 appear in the Program Control Programs List?

Hello;

report your problem Directly to Tech Support (Live Chat).. Free to users with valid License key.

Click on Support link in my signature.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cwha View Post
    November 29, 2010

In Windows 7 I’ve just installed ZoneAlarm Pro 9.3.037.000 using the “recommended” option, declined the Toolbar, Set SmartDefense Advisor to Manual, left Program Control set to default "medium" and Program Control to default "off", and am running in “Learning Mode”.

I note that Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in Program Control “Programs” List and wonder why.
    Hi:
    You say you have "just installed" ZA Pro. Did you select for ZAP to automatically select and configure your program setups near the end of installation and were connected to the Internet? (I myself don't use that method). If not, a program like IE 8 will not show up in the Program list until you launch it the first time. When you noticed the above, had you run IE 8 at least once after the new install of ZAP?

If you have subsequently run IE8, perhaps it is now showing in the list. You can also manually add a program's executable to the program list, by going to the Programs List screen and using the ADD button in the lower right corner of the ZA control panel. But like you, I would be more concerned about why it did not show up automatically assuming you had launched the IE program at least once. You can also "reset" ZAP back to a new installation, but you will lose all custom security settings you have configured. The reset is done by holding down Ctrl-Shift simultaneously and right-clicking on the ZA icon in the taskbar lower right corner, then from the pop-up menu choose "reset." After that, reboot, open the ZA control panel again and see that it is identifying your programs. You will still have to launch and run IE8 to get it to show up in the list.

You can do a little test on ZAP by selecting one of your uncommonly used programs that is not yet showing up in ZAP, running it and see if it is automatically added to the ZAP program list.

Good luck!
    Last edited by critterjoe; December 1st, 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

GeorgeV and Critterjoe,

Technical Chat had not encountered this issue and also suggested a reset as a possible remedy.

I have started IE8 multiple times and still it is not in the Program List. I do see First Time Used programs appearing in the Program List. Only IE seems to be purposefully omitted.

CJ asked Did you select for ZAP to automatically select and configure your program setups near the end of installation and were you connected to the Internet? I dont recall that, but it did offer some function during the Install process that I chose and that started IE8 and displayed a message saying something OK, well take care of IE8.

My plan is to uninstall and reinstall, paying more attention to the UI messages and functions, after the newest Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) version becomes available for installation.

Thanx for you advice.

CWH

You could always add it manually if you wish.
    Program Control/Programs. Click add, navigate to iexplore.exe.

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jrosenfeld View Post
    You could always add it manually if you wish.
    Program Control/Programs. Click add, navigate to iexplore.exe.
    While that would normally work, I would still be left wondering why it hadn't automatically been added, and thus I'd have less confidence in my ZA functioning normally, and remain uncertain if future new programs might or might not be added properly. So either a reset or uninstall/reinstall might be warranted. But before doing so, a manual attempt to add IE8 would be interesting nonetheless, because if the manual attempt to add IE also failed, then it would signal that something is really wrong. Even if it succeeded though I'd be tempted to either reset or reinstall until I could see that everything is working and being added normally.

As Standard User, not Amin User, several attempts to add IE8 (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) manually did not produce an entry in the "Program Control" List.

I used this method from ZAP Help:

"To add a program to the programs list:

1) Select Program Control|Programs, then click Add.
    2) In the dialog that appears, locate the program you want to add, then click Open.

Be sure to select the program’s executable file (for example, program.exe)."

I see new the KAV is now avaialbe. I'll let you know the result of the ZAP Un-reinstall process.
    Last edited by cwhenske; December 3rd, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Add User logn inforamtion

Lightbulb Re: Why doesnt IE8 appear in the Program Control Programs List?

Quote Originally Posted by cwhenske View Post
    As Standard User, not Admin User, several attempts to add IE8 (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) manually did not produce an entry in the "Program Control" List.

NOTE: Any changes to Zone Alarm Pro should be done under Administrative Account, and not while logged in as a standard user..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 4th, 2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Using an Administrator Login did not produce an entry for IE when using the "add" function of Program Control.

Sounds like a corruption of the ZA settings. Did you already reset the settings? If not, please try it.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do not restore previous backups and test if IE is there now....

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information