Thread: ZA slowing whole system

norman Guest

Question ZA slowing whole system

I am running windows 7 32-bit. I have used ZA free for years, first on XP and now W7. I have had to reinstall W7 as the installation had become unstable (don't ask). Everything seemed to go fine until the system suddenly slowed to a crawl with programs taking minutes to load instead of seconds. I have finally traced this to ZA, by first checking in Safe Mode, then by using msconfig to disable all startup items. This made the system behave for a few minutes and then it slowed down again. On checking I found that ZA had started itself despite msconfig telling it not to.
    I uninstalled ZA and the system ran at a 'normal' speed but left me without a firewall. I tried a couple of alternatives but they did not work as they should have, so I have come back to ZA with the hope that someone can tell me just what is happening to cause this problem.
    The version of ZA free is
    ZoneAlarm version:9.2.076.000
    TrueVector version:9.2.076.000
    Driver version:9.2.031.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.240.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.209
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.130

Help!

Default Re: ZA slowing whole system

Probably you are running some conflicting third party software that cannot co-exist well with ZA and cause the problem. Try to run 'naked'. i.e. only with OS standard services and programs.

1.) Click Start ->
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work? Better? If not, ZA cannot play well with your system. If yes, then you need to slowly check back items to find the culprit

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

norman Guest

'Fraid ZA definitely doesn't like something. But what is curious is that the system is substantially the same as it was before the reinstall and it worked then. I haven't even reinstalled about half the software that was on before. I don't have an exact record of what was installed before, and I really don't feel like killing myself by activating one program at a time to find the naughty one.
    It would be nice if there was some indication what type/kind of program interferes with ZA, so I could at least start the search at a possible culprit's door. Otherwise it's just not worth the effort.

Not really possible to give you suggestions...
    You don't have to check one by one, you can speed up the process by selecting group of three or four items. Starting from the services and the moving to the startup items.

In any case you need first to see if, with a naked system, you still have problems. If so, you will not even need to process all those entries anyway. This is the only way you can find if there is a problem. Otherwise you don't have other solution than using something different

Cheers,
    Fax

norman Guest

As I said Safe Mode ran very happily.
    I used msconfig to turn off ALL startup items, not services, and when the system came back up it ran very fast for a few minutes, then bogged down.
    When I looked at the processes running ZA had started itself, despite being told not to! How?
    It's noticeable that msconfig doesn't stick itself up on bootup (like it did in XP - I missed Vista, thankfully) so you have to realise it's actually active. I couldn't see anything indicating it's working (apart from the lack of startup items).
    So where does that leave me? The default system works fine until ZA kicks in. Would disabling the services as well help?

The msconfig, is to test with ZA only and not without. ZA cannot be de-loaded from msconfig you need to do it within the ZA interface.

Still slow? Then forget about ZA unless you want to reformat

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information