Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA: All Products Blocking bittorrent outgoing traffic

sellerman129 Guest

Default ZA: All Products Blocking bittorrent outgoing traffic

hello, i have been a user of many different zone alarm products over the past few years. The last year I have been using ZA:Pro and have been very satisfied, however my last few weeks of my subscription I have noticed that all of my outgoing bittorrent traffic is being blocked. utorrent is set to have access and server usage for both trusted and internet traffic. I am behind a router, my ports are correctly forwarded. And I am getting frustrated. Sometimes I am able to seed a torrent for a few seconds at my max bandwidth speed, then it will crash back down to 0kb/s. So i figured, maybe its a ZA:Pro issue, so i reverted to Free, and the same thing happens. I know my ISP is not blocking or throttling bittorrent transfers, nor are they capping or throttling my connection in any way. I go to the log, and I see a boat load of IPs that are being blocked all on the port utorrent is set on. I dont understand why this is being blocked when I have set it to be allowed, im running out of ideas, and dont know what to do..any suggestions? Thanks again!

Default Re: ZA: All Products Blocking bittorrent outgoing traffic

Hi!
    if you are behind a router then move the ZA internet zone to medium instead of high. This should remove all inbound blocking. You have the router anyway blocking the incoming. Hopefully you have your trusted zone set to medium (and not high) and the router IP assigned to the trusted zone too. I assume that you have done a test without ZA and you don't get this drops. Right? If not, do it, it may be a router issue.

If you have still problems then try to reset fully the ZA settings.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 30th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sellerman129 Guest

Yes actually I have done the test without ZA and i get no drops. Just to be clear, in my trusted zone i currently have added the following: 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

sellerman129 Guest

Yes, Ive been doing multiple tests, and when ZA is shut down I dont get any connection drops and I am able to upload perfectly. When i move the internet zone to medium there are no changes, and i still get dropped connections. My trusted zone is set to medium as well My current trusted zone look like this: 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

naivemelody Guest

Try this...Firewall > Main > Advanced > 'Allow uncommon protocols at high security'
    __________________________________________________ _____
    NaiveMelody NYC - 11-30-10 - Speed Of Sound - Coldplay

Got the p2p client set for access to both trusted and internet AND server for both the trusted and internet zones, in the ZA program control listing?

Perhaps adding in the dns server IPs into the trusted zone may help - if the router is presently NOT being used for the domain name server. As I am guessing the router's IP is already included into the trusted zone.

Also is UPnP allowed in the ZA?

Using now the Pro or the Free?

EDIT: the localhost should be added into the trusted zone using the IP of 127.0.0.1
    Last edited by oldsod; December 1st, 2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added more info.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sellerman129 Guest

Ok so i added my router ip to my trusted zone, my trusted zone now looks like this: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 setting the Internet Zone to "Medium" allows outbound traffic, but now ZAis blocking absolutely nothing as I read the logs. (I just kind of feel that ZA is doing me no good at this point) Are there any other work arounds, where Internet Zone could be set to "High"? UPnP is enabled in my router, and on my computer. How do I know if ZA is blocking UPnP? btw I am on ZA Free now Thanks for all the help and support so far!

Internet Zone does not cover the outbound but the inbound. The inbound is shielded anyway by the router, so little value to set it high. While outbound will be under the influence of ZA (ZA program control), limited influence if you are using the free version. The "blocking nothing" under the conditions you explain is perfectly normal.

sellerman129 Guest

If incoming was blocked by my router, why in the log are 99% of the traffics which are mainly bittorrent traffic say they are incomming connections when Internet Zone is set to High?

No idea... something wrong there... or incorrect trusted zone been set or ZA settings corrupted. For sure ZA cannot block incoming unless your router is set as internet. May be are dropped outgoing packtets? i.e. packets that intends to go out but found not answer (common on P2P due to outbound dead servers). Can you post an extract of the logs? May be it could help.
    Last edited by fax; December 3rd, 2010 at 07:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information