Thread: unknown virus

wilmos2 Guest

Lightbulb unknown virus

When I inserted a dvd/cd into my disc drive ZA warned of a virus called Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.dbfr . However when checking with ZA as to its structure etc ZA says it has no record of that type of virus. So how could it identify it as such when it has no knowledge of it?

Default Re: unknown virus

Version of ZA? OS? Exact message? Screenshot?
    You need to post more information to give a chance to other users here to help you.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wilmos2 Guest

I have windows XP and ZA Extreme Security. When ZA scans and looks at the disc in the DVD it comes up with a report in the scanning status box which says 'infection found' and when I click on 'Infection detail' it comes up with Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.dbfr, then rates the infection as 'high'. However when I seek knowledge of the infection from the ZA website it says that that particular infection is unknown.

Ok, a bit more information. Not much but better than before

There several thousands of new viruses released every day. We can't expect each of them to be descibed otherwise malware analystic will spend their time in writing descriptions then protecting users

However, you can get basic description of the malware category in securelist (from kaspersky, the engine used in ZA).

Trojan-Dropper programs are designed to secretly install malicious programs built into their code to victim computers.
    This type of malicious program usually save a range of files to the victim’s drive (usually to the Windows directory, the Windows system directory, temporary directory etc.), and launches them without any notification (or with fake notification of an archive error, an outdated operating system version, etc.).

Such programs are used by hackers to:
    secretly install Trojan programs and/or viruses
    protect known malicious programs from being detected by antivirus solutions; not all antivirus programs are capable of scanning all the components inside this type of Trojans.
    http://www.securelist.com/en/threats...havior=29#list

If the DVD comes from a trust origin (e.g. manufacurer, microsoft, etc...) then its most likely a false positive.
    See here how to check and report to Kaspersky the false positive.

If instead the DVD has doubtful origin like friend copy of software, cracks, key generators, etc... then its most likely not a false positive. See here how to check your system for malware and ensure you are clean.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information