Thread: 'New Network Found' after each reboot - FREE EDITION

court76wi Guest

Default 'New Network Found' after each reboot - FREE EDITION

I'm having this same problem with ZA Free Edition v92076 as described in the sticky here…
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=74101
    But it's become such an annoyance that I downgraded back to Free Edition v92042.

There's a FAQ to supposedly fix this issue, listed directly below, but the Free Version doesn't appear to have the option to automatically EXCLUDE networks.

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-28464961/cmd/kbresource/kb-7512915454298873377/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=configure&sf=101113&sg=0 &st=321475&documentid=347109&action=view

This appears to be the situation. If you have a hardwired internet connection, either running a desktop or laptop PC, it detects a "new network" the first time v92076 is installed and it "remembers" this network on all further starts and reboots.

If you're running a laptop/wireless connection, and your wireless adapter doesn't connect to the network until Windows completely boots to the desktop - you have to login or select your user ID first - Zonealarm sees this as a new connection every time on startup and there's no way around it. And if you have the Free Edition, you can't use the FAQ solution to "automatically exclude networks". (unless you use Windows to manage wireless connections, most adapter software - like Intel's ProSET/Wireless WiFi Software utility - don't establish a wireless connection until a user logs on to Windows)

My home PC runs v92076 Free Edition fine, but on my laptop PC I had to downgrade to v92042 because the newer version requested to add a new network every time I powered up or rebooted my laptop.

I think if the Free Edition was given the option to automatically EXCLUDE networks, like the FAQ suggests, it could possibly fix the issue. Not unless I'm missing the setting somewhere...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: 'New Network Found' after each reboot - FREE EDITION

Please see here:
    [WORKAROUND] Also Found new network --> Remove Third Party Utilities

The issue is the third party software hijacking the OS and taking the control of the WIFI. You need to ensure to use OS wireless zero configuration to manage your connection to avoid the problem. As you may understand ZA cannot test hundreds of different software that put themselves in between the OS and the rest of the software used.

It will be also useful to inform Interl support that their software is not compatible with ZA.

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network Connections.
    3. Right-click Wireless Network Connection.
    4. Click Properties.
    5. Click Wireless Networks tab.
    6. Verify that the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings is not selected. If it is, clear it.
    Click OK. This confirms the Intel PROSet/Wireless utility is configured to manage your network profiles.

The above applies to XP

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 2nd, 2010 at 07:34 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

court76wi Guest

Okay, I tried what you said. But a couple issues...

There isn't a "Wireless Networks" tab, there's an Advanced tab but that doesn't go anywhere.

The Intel utility is configured to manage connections though, if I want Windows to manage the connections I have to tell the utility to use Windows. If I select to "View Available Wireless Networks" by right-clicking Wireless Network Connection it confirms that another program is managing the connections. So everything is configured correctly.

I've used ZoneAlarm FE for over 5 years now and the Intel Wireless Utility for over 2 years now without issue. Older versions of ZA Free don't have this issue, and I think it's because of the Network Connection Wizard (or whatever it's called) now with ZA Free.

It keeps giving the option of adding new networks as trusted zones, where on older versions new networks were automatically set up as Internet only and trusted zones had to be manually setup.

I'd hate to say it, but I'd say that the connection wizard in ZoneAlarm is causing the problem. The only way to completely eliminate the issue would be to allow FE users the option of excluding new connections upon detection from the trusted zone, which FE doesn't have. If a wireless connection is established AFTER ZoneAlarm starts it's probably always going to be a new connection that it detects - just like plugging in an Ethernet cable after the PC is already running. Unfortunately not all wireless connections are established prior to a user logging into Windows, some establish after the desktop is shown and ZoneAlarm is already running.

Quote Originally Posted by court76wi View Post
    The Intel utility is configured to manage connections though
    Yes, this is your problem you need to let the OS to manage your connection not Intel. To run correctly you just need the drivers not the software that comes with the WIFI card. You may want to check manufacturer instructions on how to do it. Normally this is possible from the third party software interface or at install. My suggestion was based on what I found on Intel's ProSET/Wireless WiFi Software utility but apparently does not apply to you.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Fax

court76wi Guest

Okay, thanks for the help then. Eventually I'll just have to stop using ZoneAlarm Free Edition after a while then.

During my business travels and secondary Ed I've had experiences with three different brands of wireless adapters and utilities, both work and personal laptops, my opinions at least under WinXP operating…

Dell – good connectivity, utility is easier and better than Windows built-in
    Sony (or whoever makes Sony wireless) – decent connectivity, utility is almost worthless
    Intel – excellent connectivity and signal strength (best I've experienced so far, it maintains weak 2 Mbps connections effortlessly), utility tells you everything and allows you to configure almost everything, I've tried the Windows built-in wireless networking with the Intel adapter but the connectivity drops off considerably and configuration is very difficult in comparison.

I'll agree that in some instances letting Windows manage installed hardware is the best way to go, but for some hardware items it isn't.

Using Windows' built-in wireless connectivity with my Intel wireless card would be the same as installing a high-end nVidia graphics card in my desktop PC but not using the nVidia Control Panel to configure the graphics settings. The graphics card still works, but it's performance is restricted because you can't optimize it for your machine configuration or use all available options.

It would be nice if future editions of ZoneAlarm FE could work correctly with 3rd party utilities, especially the most common ones...

Thanks again.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information