Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Protection is Up, UI is initializing

Default Re: Protection is Up, UI is initializing

Yep, it's working good until now. Had one cold boot and ZA is running normal.
    If I encounter the issue again, I will let you know.
    Keep in mind, that it's not enough, to keep other security programs (including virusscanners) inactive. You had to uninstall all 3rd party software if you want to make sure that ZA can install safe and clean.
    Hope you'll manage the problem soon.

Update: Second cold boot. No problems so far.
    Last edited by Darklord666; January 4th, 2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Update

rromanow Guest

ZA free was working fine yesterday after cold boot. Today, I have the "Protection is Up,....." problem again after a cold boot.

I find it baffling why it works fine sometimes and not other times.

I'm hesitant to uninstall AVG Free, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, and Malewarebytes in hopes of this solving the ZA free problem. I do not want to open myself up for virus/trojan/spyware attack.

I didn't mean you have to abandon these programs. You should just uninstall them and install ZA first, then AVG and test it. Afterwards you should install the others one by one. I'd like to add, that Spybot S & D is really fine but I had some issues with it in the past, especially when running resident (tea-timer) or the passive protection measures. I would recommend using it only for malware scans.

ClixTrix Guest

I have experienced the same symptoms reported in the thread title after install and reboot of latest Free Firewall at download. Am running Avast 5.1.864 and Trustee Rapport Emerald Build 1005.71 with Win XP Pro SP3 (all current service levels). Didn't see that mix on prior reports, so wanted to add that info to the mix.

I had to reboot in Safe Mode and run product uninstall to escape the progressive system lock-up encountered. Ctrl-Alt-Del was non-responsive, so I couldn't get to Task Manager for any checks. Repeated reset-reboots only encountered the same progressive lock-up.

I'll try disabling Avast and Rapport prior to install as a test when I get an opportunity and report back.

Oh, one other item. I noted Rapport had a large number of "Attempt to alter function LdrLoadDll blocked" that weren't there before install or were coincidental to have happened just before install. No time stamp by Rapport, so uncertain if that's part of the problem.

ClixTrix Guest

Angry Re: Protection is Up, UI is initializing

I decided to first try a scratch install of Win XP Home SP3 with 1-ZA, 2-Avast, and 3-Rapport (that order) on a test system to see if the sequence of install works or any compatibility problems would occurred. ZA and Avast installed together, no problem. However, during the install of Rapport I got an error message with a website link to Trusteer indicating that ZA and Avast (in combination) were not compatible with Rapport. Here is the link:

~Bleep~

So, there may be specific combinations of products that cause the problem with ZA, and not just a sequence-of-install limitation.

I hope that helps everyone avoid unnecessary uninstalls prior to checking this type of issue with their base of installed products. Obviously, there may be more combinations with the issue. Rapport is NOW very popular with Banks, etc., i.e. they are recommending install to operate with their online banking sites. I'm (obviously) curious whether other AV with Rapport would cause the problem with ZA. I will check with the Trusteer Rapport folks to see if they have a "list" and report back.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 9th, 2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Remove URL Live Link as it violates Forum Rules

Post Re: Protection is Up, UI is initializing

Quote Originally Posted by ClixTrix View Post
    I decided to first try a scratch install of Win XP Home SP3 with 1-ZA, 2-Avast, and 3-Rapport (that order) on a test system to see if the sequence of install works or any compatibility problems would occurred. ZA and Avast installed together, no problem. However, during the install of Rapport I got an error message with a website link to Trusteer indicating that ZA and Avast (in combination) were not compatible with Rapport.

I will check with the Trusteer Rapport folks to see if they have a "list" and report back.
    Protection is Up, UI is initializing, occures when the Computer is Rebooted and Zone Alarm try's to Initialize..

Rapport does not get involved until later when you try to contact your bank.. A Completely different Problem not related to the Original posters Problem.. You may be more Helpful to "Trusteer Rapport" Users if you posted your Suggestion on the Trusteer Rapport Support Forum..

If you have a question or a problem With Zone Alarm itself, Please start your own thread..

As a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Zone Alarm Users problem,
    the Guideline Rules,ask each User to Please start their own thread.

This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Zone Alarm Problem,

When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..

Thank you in advance for you Cooperation in this matter..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 9th, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Typo correction.

This Thread will be Closed to prevent Offtopic Abuse..

The original Poster "rromanow" may PM me if He/she wished to make further comment..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information