Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZA Extreme - Rogue PDFs

kathym Guest

Default Re: ZA Extreme - Rogue PDFs

Hi Fax,

I will give a try to Restoring those files and submitting them. Thanks for explaining.

RE "Rogue" pdfs: I don't know what more to really say. I know it sounds unlikely and illogical. I've been using ZA for many years and my online experiences and habits are usually running in cautiously vigilant mode.

I'm a graphic designer and create websites -- but am not a programmer. From a simple article I just looked at, I created an example of how a PDF download screen can appear by simply visiting a page. Granted, my sample does not download automatically with ZA, but one doesn't need to click on any link to see the PDF Run/Save prompt.

http://www.creativedigitalmasters.com/za/zapdf.htm (example I created)

The only user interaction I can recall about the PDF issues... was that I was reading some news/commentary-ish sites only to read the article on that page. If hackers by chance are creating malicious code if a mouse happens to hover over (as does when moving mouse to the right hand scroll bar -- often ads are very close to the right edge).

Again, to get the forcefield pop-up you really need to manually click on a link.... cannot happen by background drive-by-download procedure. In other words more obfuscated scripts embedded in a page indirectly loading a file or an executable will not be allowed to run or will be lunched in the sandbox. You are perfectly safe. The temporary files in the folder mentioned will be purged on each boot according to the information posted by Forum Moderator unless these files are saved in the specific forcefield folder (mydocuments folder).

Your case is probably linked to an involuntary mistake while reading the news or while browsing some pages.

Btw, that web page posted does not open any PDF here (with or without forcefield).

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 10th, 2010 at 12:57 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kathym Guest

Hi Fax,

When I land on that sample page, I *am* prompted by ZA to download or save the PDF.

I wonder? if what might be going on with that example and results I get at my end, might be due to my Acrobat set-up. I have PDF's set to open in my Acrobat program and its version, not my browser. I don't think I can change this back because of conflicts.

Thankfully, in my case ZA does prompt me to disallow. I tried changing my ZA program permission settings for Acrobat/Reader and IE, but it made no difference in this behaviour.

Just a last mention:
    In the situation I described earlier, about the "rogue" PDF. I had been away from my PC. Upon return, a green ZA screen was displaying. If you are saying that I absolutely must have clicked on a link, that would have meant that I mistakingly clicked on a link prior to leaving for dinner, and I was unaware of any response occurring at the time I was in front of my pc. Also, it would have required 2 clicks from me. 1st click on initial link, 2nd click: "Run or Save?" answering a ZA dialog, to get to the green screen.

Ok, I will try and move on now. I would like to upgrade to Adobe CS5 - which may be playing a role here, but have to budget for it.

Thank you for your patience, help, and Moderator's input, as well

Kathy

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information