Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Win7 BSOD problem

laflauta Guest

Default Persistent Win7 BSOD problem

I have ZA Security Suite and would love to keep it, but fear I may not be able to. I have been experiencing an increasing frequency of BSODs running 32-bit Windows 7. Diagnostic program traced the problem to vsmon. I tried a fresh reinstall as suggested by ZA tech, and it did not help. I tried the NETBIOS workaround, and if anything the problem got worse. BSODs started occurring daily, so I closed the program and am now using Windows Firewall and my system seems stable now.

~~ offtopic ~~

Thanks for your responses.

Carlos
    Last edited by fax; December 7th, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: offtopic

Default Re: Persistent Win7 BSOD problem

Hi!
    you need to keep following up with support and report that what suggested did not help. We are all users , your issue must be closely troubleshooted by support including eventually collecting logs (if ZA is the source of the problem). This is the only way to have a chance to get it fixed or escalated to development.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

laflauta Guest

Thanks Fax for your reply. I did give ZA tech support another go.

~~snip~~

Carlos
    Last edited by fax; December 8th, 2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: offtopic

naivemelody Guest

Wink Re: Never use two anti-virus products at the same time

laflauta, I notice in your past posts with your XP pc - you had ZA Suite + NOD av + Spysweeper -> http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthrea...165#post225165 <> with similar vsmon issues.

Question: do you have ZA Suite + NOD av + Spysweeper on your new pc?
    (I wonder )

Please list your other security software/ monitoring software on your new pc.

[I wonder - if there is still any pre-installed/ trial security software even if never activated, residing there ] { Is it the software or the set-up?}
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another; simply disabling/ shutting off one anti-virus while trying to use/ install another is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.

Use the vendor's uninstall utility:

> Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.

~ All we are saying... is just use one anti-virus ~
    __________________________________________________ __
    NaiveMelody NYC - 12-8-10 - Imagine - John Lennon
    Last edited by naivemelody; December 8th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

laflauta Guest

ZA + NOD, no Spysweeper. I removed all anti-spyware as a troubleshooting measure.

There is no pre-installed security software of any kind. The first thing I do with a new PC is get rid of that stuff.

Thanks,
    Carlos

Sorry, some off topic comments needed to go. Please stick to the issue also for the benefit of other users trying to troubleshoot similar issues.

You cannot run ZA Suite with NOD even if the antivirus portion is disabled. Kernel drivers are still loaded and conflicts will araise.

You will need to downgrade to ZAPRO or ZAfree if you want to have both products to co-exists and the version of NOD to be used should not contain any firewall.

Thanks,
    Fax

laflauta Guest

Thanks Fax. I wanted the suite because I really like the antispam, though I am willing to live without it if I must.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is what you say true of NOD only, or of running ZA Suite with any other antivirus? If the latter, then I think it should be specified that ZA Suite cannot coexist with another AV - the option to turn off the AV component in ZA suite gives the user the impression that one can run both.

2. I have 248 days remaining on my ZA Suite. How can I change to ZAPRO and get credit for those days?

Thanks for your help,
    Carlos

laflauta Guest

PS:

I only had this problem after I went to Windows 7. It didn't happen when I ran ZA Suite and NOD under XP. So is there an interaction between ZA Suite, NOD and Windows 7, or could the blue screens just be an issue with ZA and Win7 like so many other users have been reporting? I'm just afraid of going back to the blue screens if I combine ZA and Win7 again.

Thanks,
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by laflauta View Post
    PS:

I only had this problem after I went to Windows 7. It didn't happen when I ran ZA Suite and NOD under XP. So is there an interaction between ZA Suite, NOD and Windows 7, or could the blue screens just be an issue with ZA and Win7 like so many other users have been reporting? I'm just afraid of going back to the blue screens if I combine ZA and Win7 again.

Thanks,
    Carlos
    Hello;
    I agree with Guru Fax..

All versions of Zone Alarm 9.2 & 9.3 are compatible with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit OS..

NOTE: Here is some more information of Conflict with other 3rd party Security programs..

Remove all 3rd party antivirus and security software

To avoid conflicting programs, please remove all 3rd party antivirus and security software. These products will conflict with your ZoneAlarm product and could result in technical or performance problems.

click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 9th, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Is what you say true of NOD only, or of running ZA Suite with any other antivirus?
    Any... second golden rule for security. Do not run overlapping tools. Conflicts, even if not evident, happens in the background. Software fighting for resources and blocking each other in case of infection. End result --> Less security.

2. I have 248 days remaining on my ZA Suite. How can I change to ZAPRO and get credit for those days?
    This you need to check with ZA customer support. License key are not interchangeable. Moreover, the value added to run NOD with ZA Suite is very limited if not null. If you want to complement ZA Suite with other security tools then choose only on-demand free ones as suggested here:

Malware Clean-up Guidance

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 8th, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added "Suite" to avoid misunderstandings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information