Thread: How Remote Desktop and Live Mesh work without servers?

Default How Remote Desktop and Live Mesh work without servers?

I am running Windows 7 and it was my impression that in order to connect to a remote computer that the 'connected-to' computer had to be running software that Zonealarm recognized as acting as a "server". What I don't understand is how I can set up and use the Windows Remote Desktop functionality (similar to programs like Real VNC & pcAnywhere which both require forwarded ports and server access in Zonealarm) and Windows Live Mesh (which used to be Foldershare and needed forwarded ports and server access) but there are no apparent programs appearing in Zonealarm with Internet Server access for these functions. I have a few Windows components with "Trusted" Server checked but none with "Internet" server access.

Does anyone know how this is able to work?

Default Re: How Remote Desktop and Live Mesh work without servers?

It's kinda scary actually.

Could Zonealarm be letting Windows components act as servers without displaying them in the Programs list? Does this mean that Microsoft and others can connect to our computers at will without us knowing it? What about trojans? I thought I was safe from people connecting to me remotely as long as I didn't let program act as servers in Zonealarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasharino View Post
    I am running Windows 7 and it was my impression that in order to connect to a remote computer that the 'connected-to' computer had to be running software that Zonealarm recognized as acting as a "server". What I don't understand is how I can set up and use the Windows Remote Desktop functionality (similar to programs like Real VNC & pcAnywhere which both require forwarded ports and server access in Zonealarm) and Windows Live Mesh (which used to be Foldershare and needed forwarded ports and server access) but there are no apparent programs appearing in Zonealarm with Internet Server access for these functions. I have a few Windows components with "Trusted" Server checked but none with "Internet" server access.

Does anyone know how this is able to work?
    Sorry,

I'm not sure that what your trying to do is possible with ZA Free..

First, Uninstall ZA Free and make sure that you have Windows 7 Windows Remote Desktop functionality working properly and comunicating with the remote computer as it should..

then you can install ZA Free and see if the default setting will recognise your Windows 7 Remote Desktop functionality..

It's kinda scary actually.

Could Zonealarm be letting Windows components act as servers without displaying them in the Programs list? Does this mean that Microsoft and others can connect to our computers at will without us knowing it? What about trojans? I thought I was safe from people connecting to me remotely as long as I didn't let program act as servers in Zonealarm.
    If it is not listed in your ZA then ZA could be corrupted or simply the service is listed with another name you can't find.
    Scroll carefully, don't look for the description but the file name.

ZA allows MS. certified applications to connect out by default. To avoid this you need to turn it off in the advance firewall options + turning off smartdefense. Allowing MS application does not mean allowing trojans or malicious programs. It will mean to be flooded by pop-ups and risk to make the wrong decisions with the end result of possible crashes or programs ceasing to work.

It may be useful you read the online help to understand better how ZA works Also remember that ZAfree offers very limited HIPS functions. You will need to move to the retail version or other products if you want something better.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 18th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Perhaps the most help some could give me is to configure Windows 7 Remote Desktop (server) on a machine (or MS Windows Live Mesh, or both) , confirm that it works by connecting from another, remote, Windows 7 machine, then point out to me in Zonealarm firewall which program it is that has Internet Server access that is being used for this functionality.

I would appreciate that very much if someone would take the time and go to the trouble.

Perhaps you should follow GeorgeV suggestion, by default ZA should allow the communication. Testing on other systems has little value due to the many different configuration options and specific setup of each PC.

Perhaps the most help some could give me is to configure Windows 7 Remote Desktop (server) on a machine (or MS Windows Live Mesh, or both) , confirm that it works by connecting from another, remote, Windows 7 machine, then point out to me in Zonealarm firewall which program it is that has Internet Server access that is being used for this functionality.

I would appreciate that very much if someone would take the time and go to the trouble.
    Sorry, We can Only base our Diagnoses on the Information or lack of information that you provide us..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

I agree with Guru Fax..

Also, based on the new information you have provided, the following information may apply to your problem..

1.) NO Version of Zone Alarm is designed to work on any Server versions of Windows OS..

2.) Windows Live Mail is not Supported by Zone Alarm..

Feature-specific Zone Alarm requirements:

Browser security requirements Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 3.6

Spam filtering and MailSafe requirements (not available in all ZoneAlarm products)

Spam Filtering protocols: IMAP4
    POP3 (YahooPops POP3 e-mail service not supported.)
    HTTP in conjunction with Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail ( Vista) only. (Microsoft Exchange not supported.)

Spam Filtering e-mail clients: Outlook and Outlook Express
    Windows Mail for Vista 32 and 64 (Windows Live Mail is not supported)

Sorry, I've never seen "MS Windows Live Mesh" used with ZA?
    Maybe some other User has a solution for you.?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 22nd, 2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo

We have already pointed you possible solutions to the problem including the possibility of corrupted ZA databases or incompatibility with the setup. I am afraid if those suggestions do not help you will need to wait for other user suggestions or move to a solution that does support your system setup.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information