Thread: System freezes after ZA Antivirus installed

Dragonsbane Guest

Default System freezes after ZA Antivirus installed

I just got ZA anti-virus/firewall last night and after installation my system booted up and froze, I had to hard boot and when I restarted the system would not boot any of my start up programs. I had to uninstall zone alarm to get the system back to normal boot. I had avast installed but it was not active at the time, I uninstalled it and it happened again. The cycle repeated like this at least 4 or times and I finally just left it uninstalled. Im not sure what I need to do, I always told it to disable the antivirus as I had avast and I just purchased it for a firewall. Im running windows 7 64 bit. Any help appreciated.

Default Re: System freezes after ZA Antivirus installed

Hello;

Here is some Excellent advice from Senior Contributor NaiveMelody: that explains the Solution to your problem,

Never use two anti-virus products at the same time !!!

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another;

simply disabling/ shutting off one Anti-virus while trying to use/ install another Anti-virus is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.

Use the vendor's uninstall utility:

> Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    I would suggest use ZA Anti-Virus alone; if you want to use another Anti-Virus Program, then change ZA to use only ZA Pro or ZA Free firewall.] or Upgrade to ZA Extreme with virtualization for the Best Protection, keep 'all' of your software up-to-date (pdf reader/ java/ adobe flash/ etc.) If you wish you may add Malwarebytes - free version as secondary scanner. And try to surf safely.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 23rd, 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Dragonsbane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello;

Here is some Excellent advice from Senior Contributor NaiveMelody: that explains the Solution to your problem,

Never use two anti-virus products at the same time !!!

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another;

simply disabling/ shutting off one Anti-virus while trying to use/ install another Anti-virus is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.

Use the vendor's uninstall utility:

> Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    I would suggest use ZA Anti-Virus alone; if you want to use another Anti-Virus Program, then change ZA to use only ZA Pro or ZA Free firewall.] or Upgrade to ZA Extreme with virtualization for the Best Protection, keep 'all' of your software up-to-date (pdf reader/ java/ adobe flash/ etc.) If you wish you may add Malwarebytes - free version as secondary scanner. And try to surf safely.

I did as above and it ran fine for a few hours but n the past few minutes I have gotten a blue screen of death twice. After the first one I did a clean uninstall and a install in safe mode just in case, I have no more conflicting anti-virus or firewalls, so there was no issue for this. The first BSOD was while I was surfing which I had been doing for the past hour and a half with no event, the second was immediately after the reboot after the reinstall. Im not sure why is not playing nice with my system.

Ok,
    If you still have "BSOD" errors,

You will now have to Troubleshoot yourproblem with the official ZA Tech Support (Live Chat) link in my signature.. (Free for users with a Valid ZA License key..

Please provide them with more information, Computer make and Model, Ver of Windows, and any other Security Software installed..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information