I just purchased a NEW laptop from Office Depot. There were issues with the lithium battery in the first one, so I exchanged it for another one. Since I had opened a similar one (the first was an 1162, the newest one was an 1160 - same laptop, different Harddrive), soI knew what to expect from the packing materials...
The box for the newest one seemed to be factory-sealed. I inspected the tape at the store (since another store had tried to foist an "open-box" on me), and opened the box at the store - in the company of one of the sales staff, so that they could help me insert the battery.
A small, colorful piece of folded paper dropped to the floor as we were opening the box. I was distracted, apprehensive, and did not notice the "packing" items (set-up posters, etc) - of which there are very few in the latest computers (go green). I casually tossed the paper into the bottom of the box.
The next day, I was ready to set up the laptop, and needed the set-up poster (so that I didn't shove the USB socket into the HDMI port). I dug into the bottom of the box and retrieved the colorful paper. The small brochure in the box was NOT the set-up poster, but a brochure from a LOCAL evangelist-preacher!!! (Note that "Local" means within 10 miles of the store).
I ran a scan with the latest download of ZA Extreme Security (I have a 3 PC license), and it found nothing.
I am paranoid anyhow, and knowing what possible dangers lurk in code, I am very suspect of the new laptop. Should I be worried about having possible spyware or malware on the pc, even though the box seemed to be factory sealed? Thanks for any serious attempts to answer this riddle...Happy Holidays...