Thread: New Computer - Strange packaging - should I be worried

caddetc Guest

Cool New Computer - Strange packaging - should I be worried

I just purchased a NEW laptop from Office Depot. There were issues with the lithium battery in the first one, so I exchanged it for another one. Since I had opened a similar one (the first was an 1162, the newest one was an 1160 - same laptop, different Harddrive), soI knew what to expect from the packing materials...
    The box for the newest one seemed to be factory-sealed. I inspected the tape at the store (since another store had tried to foist an "open-box" on me), and opened the box at the store - in the company of one of the sales staff, so that they could help me insert the battery.
    A small, colorful piece of folded paper dropped to the floor as we were opening the box. I was distracted, apprehensive, and did not notice the "packing" items (set-up posters, etc) - of which there are very few in the latest computers (go green). I casually tossed the paper into the bottom of the box.
    The next day, I was ready to set up the laptop, and needed the set-up poster (so that I didn't shove the USB socket into the HDMI port). I dug into the bottom of the box and retrieved the colorful paper. The small brochure in the box was NOT the set-up poster, but a brochure from a LOCAL evangelist-preacher!!! (Note that "Local" means within 10 miles of the store).
    I ran a scan with the latest download of ZA Extreme Security (I have a 3 PC license), and it found nothing.
    I am paranoid anyhow, and knowing what possible dangers lurk in code, I am very suspect of the new laptop. Should I be worried about having possible spyware or malware on the pc, even though the box seemed to be factory sealed? Thanks for any serious attempts to answer this riddle...Happy Holidays...

Smile Re: New Computer - Strange packaging - should I be worried

Hello;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

Here is some excelents Advise by Senior Contributor, NaiveMelody:

NOTE: Most new PC's & laptops will include some pre-installed/ 'trial' security software...

- even if you do not activate the 'trial' software - you will need to "properly" un-install them with the vendor's uninstall utility before installing ZoneAlarm.

- with ZoneAlarm Free basic firewall and ZoneAlam Pro you can use any other brand of anti-virus software you wish so long as it does 'not contain' a firewall or firewall-like module(some anti-virus or anti-spyware software 'may' include a firewall in small print- please read the fine print).

- with ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Suite and ZoneAlarm Extreme there is less of a need for additional security software
    . If you do wish to supplement/ add another layer of defense -make sure it does not contain another Firewall or anti-virus scanning module.

When installing ZoneAlarm for the first time it is be best to un-install all other security software first --please be cautious with using other security software by following the two rules below...

__________________________________________________ ___________

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.
    Use the vendor's uninstall utility:
    > Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another; simply disabling/ shutting off one anti-virus while trying to use/ install another is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.
    Use the vendor's uninstall utility:
    > Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

caddetc Guest

Default Re: New Computer - Strange packaging - should I be worried

Thank you for your reply. I have already successfully installed ZA Extreme Security, but I will definitely keep these suggestions handy...

Default Re: New Computer - Strange packaging - should I be worried

Your Welcome...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information