Thread: Excessive Disk Usage?

cycletourist Guest

Default Excessive Disk Usage?

Hello,

I've been using zone alarm for several years now. When I upgraded to version 7 Zone Alarm began eating up my disk space by logging every change to system restore points (I'm pretty sure that was the cause), so I went back to version 6.1.744.1 and have been using that ever since.

Now I have a new computer with Windows 7 and it will not let me install version 6 (incompatible), so I guess I should upgrade to the latest free version.

Was this disk space gobbling problem ever fixed? Are there any settings I need to make to assure that Zone alarm does not start wasting disk space?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Default Re: Excessive Disk Usage?

Hi!
    there is no known issues with disk space and ZAfree apart from an old issue with version 9.0 or 9.1. Now we are at 9.2 (free version) and 9.3 (retail version). Normally when too much is logged is due to ZA conflicts with other running applications or hardware conflicts or malware infections.

The only way to test it is to install ZA and see. However, you can't install ZA if you are already running a tool containing a firewall even if disabled. Just run ZA with an antivirus only solutions to test it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cycletourist Guest

Hey Fax ... happy holidays.

Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like I should just give it a go and make sure I monitor the log file. That problem in version 7 was enough to keep me away until now, but Zone Alarm is the firewall I trust to tell me about everything that is outbound (unlike Windows firewall which lets MS products through without notice).

[Side note: The reCapthcas for this forum are particularly difficult, enough to deter me from wanting to post here.]

Several years, two major releases and many minor builds have been released since version 7. ZA has changed in many ways. A cloud system will configure automatically known good applications and MS application to connect out.

Source of infections is not anymore coming from connections but from the web browsing. Controlling MS applications have little if any effect on your security. If instead you look for a privacy tool then ZA is not for you. Better to move to other OSs to avoid MS setups.

reCAPTCHA is needed due to heavy spam targeting the forum. Otherwise we would spend the day cleaning the board instead of helping users. For the users having a license there is a much more efficient way to get help, the on-line dedicated support available 24h 7day (except holidays)
    directly from ZA offices.

If you want to install latest ZA you may want to consider to custom install it without the toolbar to be as much near as the old ZA.

Hope this helps.

cycletourist Guest

message withdrawn
    Last edited by cycletourist; December 26th, 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: withdrawn - meaning edited

You're welcome!

To remove automatic setup of applications turn OFF smartedefence and UNcheck the MS. permission in the advance options. This is not recommended or supported.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information