Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: constant traffic on dialup connection

Default Re: constant traffic on dialup connection

"svchost.exe" is a legit part of Windows...

How to find out what programs on your computer are connecting to the Internet

Wondering if there's a spyware program on your computer that's surreptitiously sending information over the Internet? Want to know which of your legit programs are "calling home?" There's a command line utility that will help you find out, and it works in both XP and Vista.

> Click Start.
    > In XP, click Run and type "cmd" in the Run box. In Vista, you need to open the command prompt with elevated privileges, so click 'All Programs', 'Accessories', then right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator.'
    > At the command prompt, type "netstat -nab", press 'Enter' key.

This displays a list of running programs, the protocol being used by each to connect to the Internet, and the IP address and port being used. You might be surprised to see, for instance, that PowerPoint is connected to the Internet - but it will be if you use the online Help function, search for clip art, etc.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Wayne99 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    "svchost.exe" is a legit part of Windows...
    I understand that, but it also seems to be part of the problem.

I don't see how the netstat -nab tells me any more than I already knew.
    Nothing unusual or unexpected (to me) shows up in any of task manager, process explorer, tcpview, or netstat. It all points toward svchost as being linked to the source of activity. Note I say "linked to", as it may not be the source or the actual problem, but svchost is somehow involved.

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

I'm sorry, have you tried to shut down ZA Free and see if the "svchost.exe" problem still exit?

1.) if you still get the same problem, then contact Microsoft Tech Support..

2.) if the "svchost.exe" problem does not occur anymore, then maybe you should try a alternate FREE Firewall, you can find links to then using Goggle.com search..

3.)Sorry, This could also be a specific issues just with you PC and its something we can't FIX for one offs like that.

I am closing this Thread as the Three Option above are all I can Offer on this Topic, you may "PM" me if you find a Solution that will help other ZA Free Users that is not already covered by the three Options above..

4.) If another user of the Free version discovers a Fix for your problem, they can "PM" you with their suggestion.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 19th, 2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Update info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information