Thread: Compatibility issue : Windows 7 - ZoneAlarm

marcwaligator244 Guest

Angry Compatibility issue : Windows 7 - ZoneAlarm

Hi everyone,

I have a brand new HP computer with Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

I have installed the latest ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (Version 9.2.102.000).

Using Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.7600.16385), I download the Opera browser (http://www . opera . com/download /get.pl?id=33345&thanks=true&sub=true). The file is saved on my harddisk with a size of 8.982 Kb. When I try to run this executable for install, I have error messages from windows ("Non 7-Zip archive" or "this is not a valid Win32 application").

When I uninstall ZoneAlarm and do the same, the downloaded file has a size of 9.110 KB and executes correctly.

Any idea ?
    Last edited by fax; January 3rd, 2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: active links

Default Re: Compatibility issue : Windows 7 - ZoneAlarm

Probably an incompatibility with ZA and other software/hardware installed on the system.

Try to boot selectively (i.e. only ZA and the system) and see if you have still the problem.

1.) Click Start ->
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

If you have still problems try to reset ZA to its defaults and try again.

to reset:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do no touch any defaults and try again.

If you have still problems then ZA does not play well with your system and you may need to find an alternative to it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

marcwaligator244 Guest

Thank you for your reply.

The fact that the problem is on my computer is indeed a possibility, but please consider that this is a brand new PC, I didn't install yet any new program and ZoneAlarm was the first progam I installed.

For your information, after having uninstalled ZoneAlarm, I installed other Firewalls (*BLEEP* & *BLEEP*) and no problem was detected.

So in my opinion, "something" is wrong with ZoneAlarm.

It's a pity, because I used ZoneAlarm for years on my other Windows XP PC's and I am now "obliged" to move to another product.

In all case, thanks for your analysis and recommendation.

Kind regards
    Marc
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Posting Compeating Software Violates Forum Rules

Maybe this Advice by Senior Member " NaiveMelody" posted as a Sticky Post in the ZA Free Section, may help you..

Most new pc's/ laptops will include some pre-installed/ 'trial' security software
    - please read the complete details of the security software you have.
    - even if you do not activate the 'trial' software - you may need to "properly" un-install them with the vendor's uninstall utility before installing ZoneAlarm.
    - with ZoneAlarm Free basic firewall and ZoneAlam Pro you can use any other brand of anti-virus software you wish so long as it does 'not contain' a firewall or firewall-like module(some anti-virus or anti-spyware software 'may' include a firewall in small print- please read the fine print).

- with ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Suite and ZoneAlarm Extreme there is less of a need for additional security software. If you do wish to supplement/ add another layer of defense - make sure it does not contain another anti-virus scanning module. When installing ZoneAlarm for the first time it may be best to un-install all other security software first - install ZoneAlarm and then install any others - and check for compatibility by...

-please be cautious with using other security software by following the two rules below...

__________________________________________________ ___________

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.
    Use the vendor's uninstall utility:
    > Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another; simply disabling/ shutting off one anti-virus while trying to use/ install another is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.

Download the latest installer preferably with Internet Explorer Browser IE7/ IE8 and (use no Download Manager/ web-accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.
    __________________________________________________ ________

Whenever posting here in the ZoneAlarm Forum - it is always advisable to list your:

Windows OS: (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free, Pro, AntiVirus, Suite or Extreme)

and also the ZA Version number #(7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3...)
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 3rd, 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo

awaraarawa Guest

There indeed is a conflict between ZA and NIS.....perhaps with other security software as well but I cannot tell.....here's what I did to come to this conclusion.

Just like the OP, I purchased a brand new HP desktop (I7, 8Gb RAM; Win 7 -64 bit). Had everything working fine ie. windows updates, internet downloads, Norton Internet Security 2011 updates (NIS came preloaded with a 15 month license). Downloaded and installed Firefox, Chrome, utilities, etc without any problems.

Then installed Zone Alarm, the free version. The next install was Quicken and that is when I started to notice problems - Quicken could not successfully download its updates - Quicken/Intuit support gave me a URL to the updated Quicken version that was Windows 7 certified - would not download completely either - would hang at the 98% - 99% completed and just hang there (not freeze). Tried to download via IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc....nothing worked. All of them hang (ie. not complete and not freeze) at the tail end of the download. Figured it might be security issue and updated NIS - ofcourse, NIS could not download its updates either. OK. Tried to download MalwareBytes to check for other security issues - you guessed it, would not download

So, went back to my Vista laptop which does not have ZoneAlarm on it and was able to download all of these fine. Copied them over to the new HP desktop and guess what - they installed fine but would not update! So, I suspected Quicken was the culprit as it was the last install.

Used the HP tools to reimage the desktop to factory state - all's fine with my downloads and updates until Zone Alarm is installed.

Tried the reverse as well - ie. restored machine to factory state, uninstalled NIS 2011 using the Symantec tool for complete/clean uninstallation and then installed Zone Alarm - all's fine with downloads and updates

Combine the two on to the factory state machine and you have problems. Interesting as I have yet another Vista based laptop which has NIS and ZA co-existing and working fine.

I am sure both companies will tell me to uninstall the other application to avoid conflicts. As much as I would like to keep the granular control provided by Zone Alarm, it is difficult to kill the NIS suite which includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, host firewall, intrusion detection, email/spam security, etc.

~snip~ Thanks.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 4th, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Offtopic remarks removed

Quote Originally Posted by awaraarawa View Post

Tried the reverse as well - ie. restored machine to factory state, uninstalled NIS 2011 using the Symantec tool for complete/clean uninstallation and then installed Zone Alarm - all's fine with downloads and updates

Combine the two on to the factory state machine and you have problems. Interesting as I have yet another Vista based laptop which has NIS and ZA co-existing and working fine.

I am sure both companies will tell me to uninstall the other application to avoid conflicts. As much as I would like to keep the granular control provided by Zone Alarm, it is difficult to kill the NIS suite which includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, host firewall, intrusion detection, email/spam security, etc.

Thanks.
    I'm Sorry that you failed to read or follow the instructions in my post below..

1.) all new Computers come pre-loaded with Trial Security software that must be Removed, to prevent conflict even if not activated yet..

2.) Installing two Firewalls and or two Anti-virus programs on the same computer may caused Conflict and Results in LESS Protection, not More Protection..

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    __________________________________________________ _______

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another; simply disabling/ shutting off one anti-virus while trying to use/ install another is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,

Download the latest ZAFree installer preferably with Internet Explorer Browser IE7/ IE8 and (use no Download Manager/ web-accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 5th, 2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typo

awaraarawa Guest

GeorgeV,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I indeed read through your guidance/directions and you can tell my from message, I have tried both options. i.e uninstalled the factory installed security software completely and installed Zone Alarm Free and this works fine. But then, I do not have anti-virus, anti-spyware capabilities, etc.

I have three other computers at home - one desktop (running XP SP3) and two laptops (running XP SP3 and Vista) in addition to the new HP desktop (running Windows 7 Premium Home 64 bit).

NIS 2011 works fine with Zone Alarm Free on the other three machines - not on the HP machine with Windows 7. Leads me to believe something is not quite right with that combination.

As indicated in my previous note, as much as my heart desires to keep Zone Alarm Free, it is not feasible to remove NIS which brings more security functionality to the table just so that ZA Free can operate on the machine.

It is my sincere hope that ZoneAlarm/Checkpoint and Norton/Symantec can collaborate and resolve the issue. As indicated above, this is limited to the new Windows 7 HP desktop only!

I'm Sorry that you still do not understand the Concept of ONLY one Firewall per Computer..

NOTE: I have said all that needs to be said, I will close this Thread to prevent Abuse of the Forum Rules.

1.) ZA Free Basic Firewall, is a Firewall Program, that Replaced the Windows Firewall..

2.) NIS 2011 includes a Firewall that may Compete for Resouces and or conflict with Zone Alarm Firewall..

Norton Internet Security™ AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, AntiSpam. Norton Identity Safe™ & Firewall.

If you want to keep NIS 2011, then you must Uninstall Zone Alarm.. or DELETE NIS 2011 if you want to Keep Zone Alarm..

Even if you Turn Off Some features, they are Still Installed and will conflict with Zone Alarm.

NOTE: Both ZA Free and ZA Pro are Compatible with Norton AntiVirus,

http://forum.zonealarm.com/announcement.php?f=76

But there is no plans to make ZA Firewall Co-Exist with Norton Firewall, you should ONLY install One Firewall..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 7th, 2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Update

Thread Information