Thread: Error: Unable to Install

glasnappr Guest

Default Error: Unable to Install

I have had for several months now the "Error: Unable to Install" for the system software. The issued did not start with the release of 9.3.037.000 ... it started a couple of months later ... sometime in November. I have read many of the forum posts on this topic and have followed some of them. I do not want to "downgrade" (unless there is absolutely no other choice) and I do not want to install a toolbar that one post mentions. I did download the "latest installer" and reinstall over my previous install. I have not contacted Tech Support as one of the posts mentioned that this issue would not be fixed until the next release when ZA address the "kapernsky engine" issues. I contacted Tech Support with the issues of "updating" from version 9.1.507.000 back in the late winter of 2010. I followed their instructions explicitily (sent them the logs, etc) and experienced no solution until a later "update" was released. Since it was not a positive experience I decided to wait until the next update fixes the issue ... as the one post mentions.

Does anyone know when the next update is due to be released?

Windows XP SP3

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.3.037.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.037.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1043153600
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

Default Re: Error: Unable to Install

the MAJORITY of ZA users don't have these issues. Its not wide spread over all AV users.

The next Major release of ZA (not due until 2011) will incorporate a brand new Kaspersky engine and new AV update system that will improve performance some.

Sorry ZoneAlarm never gives out exact dates of releases and thats why I can only say in 2011.

So hang in there, AV update performance improvements are coming.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by glasnappr View Post
    Does anyone know when the next update is
    Nope, sorry. ZA never release updates scheduling. A beta of the next ZA line is rumored to be released sometimes this year.

What is the impact of the "Error: Unable to Install" ? As far as I know its merely an error when checking for "products" updates when there is no update. So, basically it has no influence what so ever on your ZA protection. When a new version will be released you will be anyway notified by the software itself.

Or it is a different error?

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

I have had for several months now the "Error: Unable to Install" for the system software. The issued did not start with the release of 9.3.037.000 ...

Windows XP SP3

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.3.037.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.037.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1043153600
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    The " "Error: Unable to Install" problem is usually associated with 1.) a bad or Corrupted Download of the ZA Installer? or 2.) Some other installed Security Software may be Blocking the Install of Zone Alarm remove all 3rd party Security Applications with AppRemover.exe download from this link.. http://appremover.com/

The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

Click Here: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite updates

NOTE: if you have not installed Zone Alarm before, then Skip down to step 5.)

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now Uninstall Zone Alarm using Windows Uninstall or on Windows 7 , Control Panel/Uninstal a program option.

5.) Now Install the new update (clean Install) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZAAV, ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Spysweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-Virus program, some Anti-Spyware programs, Registry Guard or Registry locking tools, etc...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 13th, 2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

glasnappr Guest

Thank you for your responses. I realize the liabilities of my approach and have chosen to wait for the next release. The updated virus definitions seem to be downloading correctly. The liability as I see it is that if there is an interim release I will have to install it by downloading it from the web site myself. Hopefully, it will fix the "automated" system update.

I use Spybot and Malwarebyte ONLY because I had an infestation of a trojan and key logger last summer that ZA did NOT catch. It was clear from the way the PC was responding that I had a problem ... research indicated that the only way to deal with these two issues (don't remember their names off the top of my head) was to use these products ... one solved one problem and not the other and vice-a-versa.

Thank you for the update on the next release.

The liability as I see it is that if there is an interim release I will have to install it by downloading it from the web site myself.
    Not necessarily, as far as I know the error only displays if there are no updates pushed out. So just a negligible GUI problem.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information