Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

  1. #1
    latinl3oi Guest

    Question ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Hello,

    I've installed ZoneAlarm on my computer running Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit); all works fine except when I put the computer to sleep and later wake it up, it completely loses internet access. I also have network shares on my network, and I lose access to that aswell.

    The only work around to this (that I found), is to restart the computer but when I click "restart", it freezes at the "logging off" message, so I have to force shut it down by holding the power button. When I turn the computer back on, internet and network access is back.

    "Sleep" was working perfectly fine before I installed ZoneAlarm.
    (I tend to use "sleep" alot on a regular basis)


    Is there a solution to this problem?


    I'd appreciate any suggestions / recommendations


    Thanks,

    latinl3oi

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    17,289

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Quote Originally Posted by latinl3oi View Post
    I'd appreciate any suggestions / recommendations
    Thanks,

    latinl3oi
    This is usully fixed by adding your DNS/DHCP to the firewall trusted zone.
    ZA Trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM and not HIGH.

    1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314850) then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

    More info at:
    I'm having trouble with my Internet connection while ZA is running

    Cheers,
    Fax

    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    San Carlos, California
    Posts
    1,636

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Hello

    Are you using sleep or hibernate?

    How long exactly are you leaving it in this state?

    What is your computer configuration.

    What kind of internet access are you using?



    Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    San Carlos, California
    Posts
    1,636

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Hello latinl3oi,

    development is working on a fix that has to do with sleep and crashing. It could fix the issue your having.

    Would you like to test a pre-release version on your system when its ready to see if it fixes your issue?

    Please reply back to me by private message here with your name and contact info.

    Thanks
    Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  5. #5
    latinl3oi Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    This is usully fixed by adding your DNS/DHCP to the firewall trusted zone.
    ZA Trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM and not HIGH.

    1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314850) then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

    More info at:
    I'm having trouble with my Internet connection while ZA is running

    Cheers,
    Fax

    Hello,

    Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately the problem still occurs.
    (ie: when resume from sleep, no network access)

    I have posted pictures of the Zone Alaram settings, maybe that helps you identify my problem.

    Note: The VMWare Ethernet Adapters are my virtual machine network ports.

    http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...internet01.jpg

    http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...internet02.jpg

    http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...internet03.jpg

    Thanks,

  6. #6
    latinl3oi Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Hello

    Are you using sleep or hibernate?

    How long exactly are you leaving it in this state?

    What is your computer configuration.

    What kind of internet access are you using?



    Forum Moderator

    Hello,

    I'm using Windows 7 Sleep. (called Hybrid Sleep)
    According to my understanding, it a combination of both sleep and hibernation.
    It puts computer state in memory (RAM) and hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state.

    The least amount of time I left it was 1 hr, and the longest was roughly 16 hours.
    The problem occurred on both times.

    Computer configuration... you mean the computer specs?
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    Intel Core i7 950
    6 GB RAM

    The Internet Access I'm using is ADSL2+.


    Cheers,

    latinl3oi

  7. #7
    AFOSAWIPS Guest

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Not elegant, but my solution is to turn off the firewall just before going to sleep. None of the other things suggested work. This seems to have begun with latest revision of Zone Alarm.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free - No Internet Access after sleep

    Quote Originally Posted by AFOSAWIPS View Post
    Not elegant, but my solution is to turn off the firewall just before going to sleep. None of the other things suggested work. This seems to have begun with latest revision of Zone Alarm.
    IMHO, Turning off the Firewall while the Computer is turned on even in sleep mode is very hazardous..

    Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of latest version of a Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer On and Active while computer is connected to the Internet.

    There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

    Remaining unprotected even for the short period of time it takes to Wake up your computer and manually start ZoneAlarm is a sure-fire way to become collateral damage in this war.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Possible to install free ZoneAlarm without internet access?
    By sullidav in forum ZoneAlarm Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
  2. ZoneAlarm and Vista Sleep problem
    By ssavkin in forum General - Questions that don't fit any other category
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 7th, 2008, 06:19 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •