Thread: Uninstall fails

ctromley Guest

Default Uninstall fails

Just renewed my ZAIS account. Took the bait and upgraded to ZAES. Got my email, which pointed out that I would need to uninstall the old program and install ZAES fresh. Rats. Followed the link to a page that told how:

Unchecked "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" and rebooted.
    Went to Programs / ZoneAlarm / Uninstall ZoneAlarm / Properties.
    In box labelled "Target", added " /clean" to end of existing entry, clicked OK.
    Went to Programs / ZoneAlarm, clicked Uninstall ZoneAlarm.

Got a dialog saying it was verifying permission. Then another dialog asking for ZoneAlarm password, entered password. Another dialog, this saying ZoneAlarm would be uninstalled and asking to fill out a survey saying why. Clicked Uninstall. A quick flash of another dialog (too quick to read), then nothing. Wait. More nothing. Wait some more, go to Programs, ZoneAlarm is still there. Tried this twice, same result. This is on a laptop running XP Pro SP3 (I think).

Where to from here? I get the sense from posts here that ZoneAlarm is very particular about how it's uninstalled.

This upgrade better be good.

Chris

Default Re: Uninstall fails

Actually its not very particular. Very seldom does someone have ZA password protected when un-installing as you did.

That might be the issue.

Remove the password from ZA so the uninstaller is free to make changes to it.

Then try un-installing again.

Forum Moderator.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ctromley Guest

Default Re: Uninstall fails

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Remove the password from ZA so the uninstaller is free to make changes to it.

Then try un-installing again.
    Thanks, that seems to have done it. Seems odd though, since the uninstaller says it's verifying permission and then asks for the password when it finds one is needed. Why should it choke on a password?

At any rate, some suggestions:

The order acknowledgement email notes the old version must be uninstalled first and includes a link to this page to tell you how:

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...93&action=view

If the password needs to be removed, you need to tell the user. (Preferably right after you tell them to deselect "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".) And add a brief description how, since the password dialog appears to only allow you to change your password, not delete it.

Also, there's a dialog during the uninstall that tells you you're going to uninstall and includes a link to a survey to tell ZA why you're uninstalling. There's a statement on that dialog that goes something like, 'Note: Uninstalling to upgrade to a higher-end ZA product will delete your settings. To preserve your settings, do not uninstall - install the higher-end product over your existing one.'

This conflicts with many other statements from ZA. I suspect it's wrong. If so, it needs to be removed so another hapless duffer like me doesn't get messed up.

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information