Thread: how to manage programs?

phyl Guest

Default how to manage programs?

I have noticed the ever growing list of programs in the Program Control panel, and I am concerned that many of them are not even used, obsolete, or have too many settings enabled. I am trying to delete as many programs as I can find (e.g. installers, setup, etc), but each time I delete a programs ZA freezes for a few minutes, so this takes forever.

Is there a way to delete programs faster, or for programs to get removed from the list once they are uninstalled, or to get flagged if they have not been used for a few months?
    Can I close the server function of all programs at once? This is very tedious for sure.

Default Re: how to manage programs?

No, there isn't ... the freeze is not normal unless is for few seconds. Probably your ZA may be corrupted or running with other security tools that slow down its operation.

Quote Originally Posted by phyl View Post
    Can I close the server function of all programs at once? This is very tedious for sure.
    Yes (advanced settings of the firewall section), not sure this is possible in the free firewall. Usually not recommended in modern OSs like windows 7 that needs extensive server access (trusted/internet). So, you can do it but expect wierd behaviour not always easy to link back to that setting.

Exact version of ZA?? Version of the OS? How do you connect to the internet? Router? Modem with NAT capability? More information you post more likely other users here will be able to help.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

phyl Guest

Thanks, it is ZA 9.3.037 Extreme. At home I used to connect through an old d-link di-524, but recently have connected directly to cable modem. This is a laptop, and I also use it a lot on hotel and public networks, so slid security is essential. I don't have other security functions enabled, but use malwarebytes once a month or so for an extra scan.
    Last edited by phyl; January 27th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.

I would then recommend to keep windows 7 (?) fully up-to-date as well as all the other programs in the system (check with secunia online scan). See guidance in the link below: xyz was not detected. What I should do?

To remove server rights to the internet, go to ZA firewall section --> advanced and check on "Block Internet Servers". Try to limit the use of this feature since it can disrupt normal OS functionality. Also consider that if you are aiming at limiting MS application you will also need to UNcheck "Enable Microsoft Catalog Utilization" in the custom options of the ZA program control section. This may create a substantial raise in pop-ups that if answered incorrectly may lead again to OS disruption of functionality.

See manual on page 37 and 95.

Nowadays the majority of infections do not come from open/closed ports but from legit infected website. It is important then to have "virtualization" always turned on in the advance settings of the ZA web browser protection section.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 27th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.

phyl Guest

Thanks. I wanted to do this because when I run shields up it appears that I have ports 135, 139, 445, and 554 open, and other ports closed. I thought that disabling internet server function would stealth all ports, but it seems that this was not accomplished following your advice above. Is there any other way to protect ports? I am travelling a lot and connect the Laptop to unknown networks, so I feel that this is a fairly essential function.

By the way, I have enabled the virtualization function and see a glow around Internet Explorer, but not around Chrome - does this work for Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by phyl View Post

By the way, I have enabled the virtualization function and see a glow around Internet Explorer, but not around Chrome - does this work for Chrome?
    Chrome is not supported yet..

Browser security requirements

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 3.6
    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-products.htm
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 27th, 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Go to ZA Firewall section --> Internet Zone Security --> Custom --> and UNcheck "allow brodcast/multicast", this should help unless you use ad-hoc hardware to connect to the internet like USB 3G connections...

phyl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Go to ZA Firewall section --> Internet Zone Security --> Custom --> and UNcheck "allow brodcast/multicast", this should help unless you use ad-hoc hardware to connect to the internet like USB 3G connections...
    Thanks again. The ports are still open, and I am connected straight to cable modem with a cable and wireless turned off. I also noticed the the firewall log is empty ... is there a test that can verify the firewall is actually working?

Your modem is probably filtering incoming calls not ZA... this is why you see open and closed ports? Or the version of ZA used does not support it? Check modem manual to see if there is any work around to this.

Please do not open multiple threads on the same issue. Continue here.
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=76641

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 30th, 2011 at 01:51 AM.

Thread Information