Default [SOLVED] Scan Problem --> Turn logging to defaults

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.3.014.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.014.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1044691968
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

With Vista Ultimate

I use Cobian Backup 10 (http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm)

When I download the Cobian installation software and then scan the download, the ZASS scan shows no detections but in the ZASS log I get the message "Error: The environment is incorrect." for the Cobian download file.

In the description ZASS states "Anti-virus attempted but failed to scan a file and/or system for viruses"

Would be grateful for any help or advice.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by dogdog; February 5th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Default Re: Scan Problem

Hi!

tried to download and scan but I don't get this message. Have you modified any default settings on the logs. You may be getting different messages if you modify the logging that do not mean you have a problem.

The error message seems to indicate the file is busy or locked and ZA cannot scan. What other security tools are you running? The may blocking the correct functioning of ZA.

I would suggest to contact the ZA official technical support if you need to know more about the issue. Link to support in my signature. Let us know when you solve the issue, it may help other users with the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. You are running an old build of ZASS. We are at 9.3.037.000

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

tried to download and scan but I don't get this message. Have you modified any default settings on the logs. You may be getting different messages if you modify the logging that do not mean you have a problem.

The error message seems to indicate the file is busy or locked and ZA cannot scan. What other security tools are you running? The may blocking the correct functioning of ZA.

I would suggest to contact the ZA official technical support if you need to know more about the issue. Link to support in my signature. Let us know when you solve the issue, it may help other users with the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. You are running an old build of ZASS. We are at 9.3.037.000

You only get the nessage if you look at the ZASS scan log. You do not see the message in the normal ZASS scan window. Have you looked at your ZASS scan log after scanning the download??

yes... there are no sign of errors

AV/scan,2011/02/05,10:04:42 +1:00 GMT,C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\cbSetup.exe,Scan Completed,Manual

Cheers,
    Fax

yes... there are no sign of errors

AV/scan,2011/02/05,10:04:42 +1:00 GMT,C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\cbSetup.exe,Scan Completed,Manual

Cheers,
    Fax
    I get that message about scan being completed but the error message is on the line above or below - you have nothing like this??

No, nothing... sorry.
    Double check you have not turned ON the antivirus errors in the ZA logs. They can give you a lot of these "false" warnings.

Try to download the iecar test below.... does your ZA detects it? Then you are fine. If not, you have a problem.
    http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
    Last edited by fax; February 5th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

No, nothing... sorry.
    Double check you have not turned ON the antivirus errors in the ZA logs. They can give you a lot of these "false" warnings.

Try to download the iecar test below.... does your ZA detects it? Then you are fine. If not, you have a problem.
    http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
    I have put a tick in the box for logging "Anti-virus/Anti-spyware scanning errors". Surely this the the "cautious" thing to do??

If I remove the tick then I no longer get an error message in tha ZASS scan log!!!!!!!!!

I have never heard of these "false warnings" from detecting anti virus errors - is there a link to this topic??

Many thanks for your help.

It was discussed here... sometime ago (1-2 years ago)... sorry I can't really locate the discussion. Simply don' turn ON that feature its not helpful and can create confusion...
    Again, the essential test of functionality of the scanner can be done with the EICAR file. If that works then you are fine

Unless there are other related issue I will soon close this thread since the issue is resolved. The official ZA technical support may know more about it, so feel free to contact them.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. and REMEMBER to update ZA to the latest version. This is much more important than turning ON the optional logs!

It was discussed here... sometime ago (1-2 years ago)... sorry I can't really locate the discussion. Simply don' turn ON that feature its not helpful and can create confusion...
    Again, the essential test of functionality of the scanner can be done with the EICAR file. If that works then you are fine

Unless there are other related issue I will soon close this thread since the issue is resolved. The official ZA technical support may know more about it, so feel free to contact them.

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. and REMEMBER to update ZA to the latest version. This is much more important than turning ON the optional logs!
    ZASS detected and quarantined Eicar file so all apparently OK.

I do find it annoying that functionality is included (logging scan errors) that does not work, particularly when there is nothing obvious to warn the user!!!!

However, I am grateful for your help.

PS: Haven't updated ZASS to v 9.0.037.000 as (i) differences seem very minor and (ii) there has been no automatic prompt from ZASS to update version.
    Last edited by dogdog; February 5th, 2011 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdog View Post
    I do find it annoying that functionality is included (logging scan errors) that does not work, particularly when there is nothing obvious to warn the user!!!!
    That is why the option is OFF by default. Defaults ensure maximum compatibility and optimal security.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdog View Post
    PS: Haven't updated ZASS to v 9.0.037.000 as (i) differences seem very minor and (ii) there has been no automatic prompt from ZASS to update version.
    Well, you should consider it.... build 37 has fixed many bugs and improved stability. Again, better is the risk of a manual update than playing with settings unnecessarily and end up with wrong perceptions or unstable systems

We said all we could said... closing OFF this thread now. Do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information