Thread: Windows updates and ZA

Debtcard Guest

Default Windows updates and ZA

I use zonealarm free, and last time I used zonealarm. I turned it off to do some updates and decided since I'm connected to the Internet. I need to have it on while doing the update, so I did. The windows update completed and I restarted my computer, I ran into a problem. I couldn't load my laptop up completely, my theory was that it blocked something important. So my real question is, how do I make it to where Zonealarm allows Windows updates to go through without me needing to be there to click "yes" every time?

rosshi Guest

Lightbulb Re: I have a question

hi,
    I have had the same thing happen to me in the past, the fix that always works for me is;

1. Close ZA
    2. Start downloading windows updates, (I have my win updates set to inform me when updates are ready, but I choose when to download them) when the updates have started to download, and you see 2-3 or more %, turn ZA back on

When I do this it fixes the problem and I never have to do this procedure again, updates download normally...

I hope this works for you as it has for me...

ATB,
    rosshi

Default Re: I have a question

Hi!

normally ZA smardefense automatically allows OS updates you never need to turn OFF ZA to update your OS (at least I never do). You should first ensure you have the latest ZAfree installed (build 9.2.102.000), keep smartdefense in AUTO and program control on defaults. If you have customise your settings try a full reset:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Your ZA trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM and your DNS, DHCP IPs addresses added the ZA trusted zone.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rosshi Guest

Thumbs up Re: Windows updates and ZA

hello again,
    mine wasn't the original question, just knew my work around to try to help out, and BTW, I only stopped ZA for the briefest tome possible... Anyways, I just wanted to say TY again for that handy reset tip.... cheers

hope it helps out the originator of this thread too

Default Re: Windows updates and ZA

Quote Originally Posted by rosshi View Post
    hello again,
    mine wasn't the original question, just knew my work around to try to help out, and BTW, I only stopped ZA for the briefest tome possible... Anyways, I just wanted to say TY again for that handy reset tip.... cheers

hope it helps out the originator of this thread too
    Hi rosshi;

"Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of latest version of a Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer.

There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

Remaining unprotected even for the short period of time it takes to download and install Windows updates on your computer and manually start ZoneAlarm is a sure-fire way to become collateral damage in this war with Hackers and Malware.

I recommend Guru Fax's method..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 12th, 2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo

rosshi Guest

hey George,
    you don't have to tell me, I use ZA extreme security, Immunet, Iobit 360, Adaware, Malwarebytes, Super anti-spyware, Asquared anti malware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, McAfees site advisor and AVG link scanner... oh and Panda USB immunizer for them autorun nasties that get on flash drives.... So I think I'm covered...

And yes I totally agree with Guru Fax,~Snip~
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 12th, 2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Disrepectul Coments removed that Violate Forum Rules & "terms of use Policy"

Quote Originally Posted by rosshi View Post
    hey George,
    you don't have to tell me, I use ZA extreme security, Immunet, Iobit 360, Adaware, Malwarebytes, Super anti-spyware, Asquared anti malware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, McAfees site advisor and AVG link scanner... oh and Panda USB immunizer for them autorun nasties that get on flash drives.... So I think I'm covered...

And yes I totally agree with Guru Fax,~Snip~
    Sorry some of your Comments Violated Forum Rules and had to be removed..

If you have ZA Extreme Security installed, you do not need to Load up your computer with most of the other Security programs you have that may conflict with ZAX and Reduce your Protection..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZAAV, ZASS/ZAXS issues remove the other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recommended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with Zone Alarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Spysweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-Virus program, some Anti-Spyware programs, Registry Guard or Registry locking tools, etc...

I am Closing this Thread to prevent further abuse and Hi-Jacking the OP request for help..

Note: Any further abuse or violation of Forum rules will be deleted without notice:
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 12th, 2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

I would also not recommend NOT run ever more than ONE (1) antivirus and firewall at the same time. Running multiple security tools will eat system resources nad have application fighting for resources, cause conflicts at each update of application and finally blocking each other at the time of malware infection and cleaning.

Use one tool, master its functioning and if you really feel like having more than just use the free versions of MBAM or Superantispyware for a second opinion.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information