Thread: Slow file access with ZAP on

zonemaster60 Guest

Angry Slow file access with ZAP on

I guess the easiest way for me to explain is when ZoneAlarm Pro is running I get very slow file access especially when cleaning internet files with CCleaner or just deleting files in general.

When I shutdown ZAP file access returns to normal. Is there an adjustment or something in ZAP itself to fix this. It's not really a big deal I just shut it down temporarily when I do a registry and disk cleanup and turn it back on when I'm done.

I was just wondering if this is normal with the operation of ZAP (the slow file access). It doesn't seem to slow the system down just the disk/file access.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 12th, 2011 at 08:22 AM.

Default Re: Slow file access with ZAP on

Sorry, never heard of this before. How you define slow? half second? 1 second? 1 Minute? Have you tried to boot selectively your PC and see if you still get slow access only by running ZAPRO?

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA or Win7) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA or Win7)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zonemaster60 Guest

Lightbulb Re: Slow file access with ZAP on

Took me awhile but I shutdown everything as you described but zonealarm pro components and nothing was conflicting.

I shutdown ZAP itself and everything went back to normal speed. And what usually took seconds takes minutes unless I shut ZAP off. It's not a real big deal just thought you should know in case anyone else has this issue.

If I need to do any cleaning stuff I just turn it off and everything goes fine. I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by zonemaster60 View Post
    Took me awhile but I shutdown everything as you described but zonealarm pro components and nothing was conflicting.
    Not clear to me. Does the above mean no slow down also?
    What you mean by slowdown? ZAPRO has no specific features that can slow down deleting of files. Are you on the latest version (9.2.037.000)? If the files are on remote locations and not local then see here: [SOLVED] Slow data transfer speeds on LAN --> Add IPs as TRUSTED

If not, it must be an interaction with another software installed, a corrupted ZA install or incorrect ZA settings. Also ensure that zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe respectively in C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm and C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs folders are excluded from your antimalware tools (e.g. antivirus).

You can try to full reset the ZA settings and check if you still get the same problem.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Considering you are using a licensed version of ZA you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the the link in my signature.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 13th, 2011 at 01:19 AM.

zonemaster60 Guest

Sorry for not replying sooner. Did everything as suggested and reset ZoneAlarm. Still there is alow file access and often programs will even fail to start unless I shut ZoneAlarm off. I almost always have to run in Game Mode because nothing else seems to work unless I shut it completely down.

I've tried everything, I have no idea other than uninstalling permanently, seems a shame I wasted my money if it's going to give me this much of a headache.

Sorry to hear you still have issues. We all users here and its time you report to ZA official support, its free for registered users. This is the only way to get your issue properly troubleshooted and logged. It is also the route for claiming a refund (if applicable).

Link to official ZA technical support is in my signature.

Thanks,
    Fax

zonemaster60 Guest

Well I sent Tech Support a message but I guess that is all I can do for now because the chat thing isn't on or working right now until after 6am CST

Hi!

tech support is online now, not sure what is the problem there. If you can't contact support there is something more than ZA going wrong in there.

Thread Information