Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WORKAROUND] Icon dissapears --> Install latest version

jmcirilo Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] Icon dissapears --> Install latest version

Recently, the Zone Alarm security suite Icon has disappeared from my toolbar after start-up, and a clean install. When I manually click on the program to start it up, the icon shows up and quickly dissapears again. No time to select the icon and open the program. Also, when I look at the task manager, zlclient.exe is missing from the list of running processes. I ran the cpes_clean.exe application and reinstalled the zaSuiteSetup_93_037_000_en.exe but continues to do the same.

I'm using Windows XP Pro. Would appreciate if anyone could help. Thanks!

Default Re: Icon dissapears

Hi!

please contact the ZA technical support at the link in my signature. Explain in detail the issue and they will help you to troubleshoot it.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 5th, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Tim1111 Guest

Did you manage to resolve this issue as I have exactly the same problem?

I've had numerous discussions with tech support, but all they can suggest are various variants of the uninstall and reinstall which doesn't seem to work - I think they may be running out of ideas to suggest!

It seems that the installer doesn't quite finish as I don't get to the configuration screen, yet windows security center reports ZA firewall and AV is ok and running so something must be running in the background. I would say that it seems as if something is stopping the true vector service running, although it's been running fine for years and I haven't installed anything new recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1111 View Post
    Did you manage to resolve this issue as I have exactly the same problem?

I've had numerous discussions with tech support, but all they can suggest are various variants of the uninstall and reinstall which doesn't seem to work - I think they may be running out of ideas to suggest!

It seems that the installer doesn't quite finish as I don't get to the configuration screen, yet windows security center reports ZA firewall and AV is ok and running so something must be running in the background. I would say that it seems as if something is stopping the true vector service running, although it's been running fine for years and I haven't installed anything new recently.

It is very difficult to Diagnose a problem when you do not provide any info OR what type of Computer, what version of Windows and Service pack update, or even what Type and Version of Zone Alarm you have???

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Here is my Best Guess?

This is usually Caused by 1.) A Bad or Corrupted Install of Zone Alarm,
    2.) Some other Installed Security Program installed, Conflicting with or Blocking Zone Alarm..
    3.) Virus/Malware Infection Blocking Zone Alarm,
    Sticky: Malware Clean-up Guidance <=== click Here!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 8th, 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Also its important you keep coming back to support. To exaust all possible solutions. Then if nothing works ask for refund (if applicable) or do not renew.

Of course, a format and reinstall of the OS from scratch may also help but thats up to you.

Finally you can test the latest ZA beta and see if the same problem appears, if yes then submit a feedback via the dedicated web form. The advantage of this is that it will reach directly the ZA developers.

Thanks,
    Fax

Tim1111 Guest

Thanks George - I didn't include any details of my system as I just wanted to know if the OP has fixed the issue on his machine which may point me in the right direction of my issue! I'll raise my own thread as I've had no repsonse from the OP, rather than hijacking his thread.

In response to your suggestions:
    1) On every occasion tech support have instructed a full clean and new download of the installation file - and this happened originally on an installation that had been installed and running for many months.
    2) No other security programs were installed when the problem first manifested itself.
    3) I've scanned using a number of tools - all have found nothing (although that doesn't guarantee my system is clean).

I'll start my own thread with full details to see if anyone else has come across this.

Thanks

Tim1111 Guest

Fax - I think I have exhausted all their ideas hence why I'm here - I'll give them another go, but their comment last time was the clean and reinstall should have worked and they don't know why it hasn't!

Thanks George - I didn't include any details of my system as I just wanted to know if the OP has fixed the issue on his machine which may point me in the right direction of my issue! I'll raise my own thread as I've had no repsonse from the OP, rather than hijacking his thread.

I'll start my own thread with full details to see if anyone else has come across this.

Thanks
    Thank you for your Feedback..

I'm sorry none of my Suggestions worked for you..

That may only leave the last part of Guru Fax's Suggestion to try..

Of course, a format and reinstall of the OS from scratch may also help but thats up to you.

Finally you can test the latest ZA beta and see if the same problem appears, if yes then submit a feedback via the dedicated web form. The advantage of this is that it will reach directly the ZA developers.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Fax - I think I have exhausted all their ideas hence why I'm here - I'll give them another go, but their comment last time was the clean and reinstall should have worked and they don't know why it hasn't!
    If ZA technical support could not help, then you are unlikely to find a solution here.

What you describe can be linked to a corrupted ZA or corrupted OS. Assuming you really removed fully ZA (and its left overs) and then properly reinstalled it only remains the second. Trying the beta may also help, ZA has changed slightly the way ZA boot... it may or may not use the corrupted OS part you having problem with.

Let us know if you managed to resolve the issue and how.

Thanks,
    Fax

Tim1111, I assume you are using same OS as jmcirilo.

Before format and reinstall of the OS from scratch, try the following.

This is just a suggestion to check OS.Run " Chkdsk " .

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP at this link :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Also run " sfc /scannow ". The scannow option will scan and repair important Windows files.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker at this link :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Hope this helps.Nothing to lose.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; May 8th, 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: rephrase, typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information