Thread: ZA vs others

Derek2011 Guest

Default ZA vs others

Hi
    I'm sorry I guess this probably has been asked already, but with pc running like bag of nails, each search taking 10 mins per keyword so forgive me if I didn't look hard enough.

I currently use another security programme (begins with 'N'). It doesn't seem to give me any useful protection and in 2 years has found only 1 potential intrusion.

I've just spent the day eradicating system tools 2011 from my computer- 'N' has been aware of this for some time, but still can't find it.

I'm led to believe that ZA firewall is about the best- I'm not so worried about destructive virus as I back everything up daily, but data being 'leaked' by spyware- I run a business and I'm now a bit paranoid that data has been disclosed.

Any comments appreciated as to whether I should persevere with the other one (and maybe I've just not configured it properly) or whether I should cut my losses and buy ZA instead. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: ZA vs others

Hi!

no antivirus or security tool can cover 100% of the malware out there. Unfortunately some of the threads also needs some caution from the user (e.g. fake antivirus). Never ever beleive a pop-up other than your security tool telling you are infected. Also keep your PC up to date especially your third party software. See here: xyz was not detected. What I should do?

Both products mentioned provide excellent protection as well as others on the market. Try them all (ZA comes with 30 days trial on all products) and choose the one that runs better on your PC and/or the one you feel more secure with.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 28th, 2011 at 06:22 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Derek2011 Guest

Hi Fax
    Thanks for the reply. Don't worry, I know the 100% secure protection is a myth.

I did once use ZA product on an old desktop and bought the full programme- then I started buying laptops already infected with 'n'.

I'm just a bit bothered that it's never even asked me which programmes I want to allow. I remember ZA DID do this. But I've been advised against allowing 2 security programmes on at the same time in case one starts attacking the other.

Really I'm concerned with whether I've got rid of tool kit- (manually- just the registry deleted keys) or if I need to reinstall the whole drive. There's loads of info out there, but half of it just seems dodgy to me and it takes an expert to work out which is and isn't useful.

Hi!
    ZA comes with a smartdefense white/black central database. Known good programs will be automatically allowed, known bad programs blocked while for unknown ZA will prompt you for action. This is probably why you don't receive pop-ups. ZA is designed for easy of use with minimal interactions with the user.

If you want a different behaviour you will need to change the ZA settings. The risk connected to this is bad manual settings, instability, difficulties to forensic problems with the final result of less security. The majority of infections nowadays come anyway from legit web sites, playing with permissions will not help. Once the malware is getting into the system its already too late. You need to prevent infections and isolate your system.

You may want to review the ZA user manual to understand the different features and functions of ZA. Here

Finally I would suggest having your system reviewed by volunteer malware experts at spywarehammer or bleepingcomputer to be sure you are clean from possible pests. Link to the above mentioned sites are contained here.

Unless you have other specific questions I will close this thread. Please do not hesitate to PM if you need to reopen it to post adittional infos. This is a board aiming at providing user to user support on common ZA product issues. It is not a forum meant to discussion A vs B or a general discussion board on security.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 2nd, 2011 at 07:09 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information