I am using a Windows XP notebook. I started having a problem with Zone Alarm such that when I clicked on the icon for it in my systray, Zone Alarm would not open. If I passed my mouse cursor over the Zone Alarm icon in the systray, a little box appeared stating, "Protection is up, Zone Alarm initializing." Also, there didn't seem to be any activity in that icon. That is, the "Z" in the icon did not change to a red and green box that flashed when there was internet activity.

I decided to update Zone Alarm to the latest version (9.2.1005) to see if that would help. After I installed it and rebooted and passed my mouse cursor over the Zone Alarm icon in the systray, a little box appeared stating "Zone Alarm." That seemed to be an improvement. However, when I tried to open Zone Alarm, just the blue box heading of the Zone Alarm screen appeared. The rest of the Zone Alarm screen was blank.

I rebooted and I was back to my original problem. Now, if I pass my mouse cursor over the Zone Alarm icon, a little box appears stating, "Protection is up, Zone Alarm initializing." Also, there doesn't seem to be any activity in that icon. That is, the "Z" in the icon does not change to a red and green box that flashes when there is internet activity.

1) What could be causing this problem and how do I correct it?
2) What does the box, "Protection is up, UI is initializing" mean?
Thanks.
Richard