Thread: [SOLVED] Zone Alarm Causing Computer Failure

charliewbza Guest

Default [SOLVED] Zone Alarm Causing Computer Failure

When Zone Alarm is installed on the computer it loads on the initial install. But attempting to open Zone Alarm via the taskbar, shortcut, or directly from Start does nothing and program won't open. It still shows in task Manager. Other programs also start failing to open after ZA starts having this problem.

System: I've done a complete hard drive wipe (deleted partitions and full reformat) and then installed Windows XP and all updates to SP3. I've had hardware diagnostics done to rule out hardware issues.

AVAST! Anti-virus was downloaded from another computer to a virus-checked thumb drive and installed. Zone Alarm was installed the same way. At this point there was no problem.

A restore point was set in order to be able to troubleshoot.

I then installed Firefox via thumb drive . Zone alarm would no longer open, nor would Firefox. I uninstalled Firefox but that did not fix the problem.

I then went back to the restore point. After the restore I uninstalled Zone Alarm. I then installed Firefox. Everything worked fine. I then installed Zone Alarm. Since I am not internet connected the Toolbar could not be loaded. I continued anyway. Completed with 503 programs scanned. Did a restart. Zone Alarm and Firefox both fail to open.

In Task Manager/Processes I cannot end either firefox.exe or zlclient.exe. Nothing happens when I try to end the firefox process, but I get a "Denied" message when trying to end zlclient.

I could try other program installs but Zone Alarm appears to be the one program that always causes the failure.

Default Re: Zone Alarm Causing Computer Failure

Hi!

sorry all users here, if you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

charliewbza Guest

Appreciate the help in chat regarding this problem although the advice to re-install ZAfreefirewall in safe mode did not work and ZA still failed.

However, I did get it fixed. I did not want this computer internet connected until I had both anti-virus and firewall protection, so I was using downloads from another computer and a thumb drive to install.

When I finally decided to try it with internet connection I first installed my anti-virus and Firefox browser, then connected to the internet and rebooted. No problems so I then downloaded and installed ZAfreefirewall. It worked, and it's been working fine for the past hour.

I didn't find anything that said ZAfreefirewall HAD to installed directly from the web, or cuased conflicts with Firefox, but a connection appears to be required in order for ZA to install properly.

Moving this thread in the right section (free firewall) and closing it since it is resolved.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information