Thread: ZoneAlarm no protection for "zombie cookie" & "Ever Cookies"???

dew Guest

Thumbs down ZoneAlarm no protection for "zombie cookie" & "Ever Cookies"???

Hello,

Why does ZoneAlarm offer no protection for "zombie cookie" & "Ever Cookies"??? I only discovered the issue by receiving a security bulletin via email from consumer reports.

I tried to search for a security bulletin on their website, but found nothing. I also tried to contact customer support and was 'greeted' with a less than cheerful desire to provide additional information on the subject.

In researching it more, this appears to be a serious issue for users as the cookies are not readily apparent as they don't appear and are not deleted through the browser. They instead reside within the Flash directory. I was shocked to find 1000+ cookies on my computer as I am careful to delete cookies after my browsing sessions ends.

I am disappointed that Zone Alarm offers no protection from these and I am equally if not more disappointed that this issue is not even mentioned as a possible threat on their site.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm no protection for "zombie cookie" & "Ever Cookies"???

Evercookie is an open source javascript API available, that produces extremely persistent cookies in a browser. Its goal is to identify a client even after theyve removed standard cookies, Flash cookies (Local Shared Objects or LSOs), and others.
    Evercookie accomplishes this by storing the cookie data in several types of storage mechanisms that are available on the local browser. Additionally, if evercookie has found the user has removed any of the types of cookies in question, it recreates them using each mechanism available.
    Specifically, when creating a new cookie, it uses the following storage mechanisms when available:
    Standard HTTP Cookies
    Local Shared Objects (Flash Cookies)
    Silverlight Isolated Storage
    Storing cookies in RGB values of auto-generated, force-cached PNGs using HTML5 Canvas tag to read pixels (cookies) back out
    Storing cookies in Web History
    Storing cookies in HTTP ETags
    Storing cookies in Web cache
    window.name caching
    Internet Explorer userData storage
    HTML5 Session Storage
    HTML5 Local Storage
    HTML5 Global Storage
    HTML5 Database Storage via SQLite

This cookie is a real pain in the rear to remove What I use to delete and clear any trace of this nuisance is Bleechbit. Free to use

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download

Default Re: ZoneAlarm no protection for "zombie cookie" & "Ever Cookies"???

You don't need ZA for protecting against cookies.
    For example, in Internet Explorer 9 this is embedded in the software (the feauture is called "tracking protection").
    No use for ZA to focus on issues that are anyway covered by the browser itself.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information