Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA Blank Screen --> Norton conflict

wingspar Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZA Blank Screen --> Norton conflict

I just booted up my computer, and Zone Alarm is there, and seems active, but now ZA is asking every program I use on the internet for internet access. I havenít changed any settings. If I open ZA, all I get is the title bar at the top of the screen. The rest of the ZA screen is totally blank. Only thing I can do is minimize or close ZA. What just happened, and am I secure on the internet?

I am on a Windows XP SP2 machine, and have been using ZA for years. Never seen anything like this before.

Default Re: ZA Blank Screen

A.) read this Forum Link.. Microsoft Ends Windows XP SP2 Support

Your WinXP SP2 is no longer supported by Microsoft.. and ZA 9x works better on Windows XP SP3 and all current Microsoft Updates

B.) it looks like your ZAFree Database may be Corrupt by Malware, or other Security Software..

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Did you updated any software in your computer or installed new software recently?

The new update or the new software may conflict with ZA and cause this issue.

In this case you should try to update the latest version of ZAFREE 9.2.10x.000 and see if you still are experiencing the problem.

wingspar Guest

No, I have not installed anything recently. I updated Spybot and Malwarebytes today, but I do that at least once a week, and have never seen this before. Iíll try your suggestion. I found that suggestion in another thread, but it didnít sound like it applied to my situation.

We can't help you much unless your Have the Latest version of ZA installed and your Windows OS is Fully Updated..

It is normally Helpful when posting here to give full details of your computer setup.

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used
    , Windows Version used, other security tools installed. is this a First time install?
    Stopped working recently? other issues? Error messages in the ZA logs?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

also is this a DeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook.

wingspar Guest

That did not work. I still have a blank ZA screen, and a popup on my screen that reads

The firewall has blocked internet access to 192.168.2.109 {NetBIOS session} from your computer. [TCP Flags: S}.

Every 30 seconds or so, another alert is added. I now have 4 alerts all like the one above.

wingspar Guest

I have been using ZA for years. Since the 90's. I can not see my ZA screen, so I have no idea what version I have. Have not updated anything other than Spybot and mailwarebytes for weeks.

I built this computer in 2006, and installed ZA then, and this is my first problem with ZA. All I did was a backup to an external drive, then reboot as I have done dozens and dozens of times over the years, and ZA seems to be there, but the screen is blank.

As I said before, Win XP SP2 on a desktop that I built from scratch in 2006.

It is a duel core processor with 2gb memory.

Firefox 3.6.13

As I also said before, I have never had a problem till tonight.

I use Norton Antivirus, but have not had problems with it. I see no reason why this should all of a sudden crop up.

I can not see the ZA screen at all. It is blank. Every program is asking for internet access every time I reboot, and the activity light comes on ZA, but the ZA window remains blank. The help button is visible in the lower left hand corner, but I can’t click on it. The window is blank and unresponsive.

wingspar Guest

Here is a screen shot of what ZA looks like.

wingspar Guest

Iinstalled 9.2.106.000 and, I can not open it.

This is normally caused by broken OS. Not suprised considering you seem still on SP2. Ensure you have full administrative right to the system and that you have full permission on "HKCU\Software\ZoneAlarm."

Never trust external site providing downloads links to ZA. Always use links from the ZA web site for download.
    Last edited by fax; March 30th, 2011 at 12:01 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wingspar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    This is normally caused by broken OS. Not suprised considering you seem still on SP2. Ensure you have full administrative right to the system and that you have full permission on "HKCU\Software\ZoneAlarm."

Never trust external site providing downloads links to ZA. Always use links from the ZA web site for download.
    There is nothing wrong with my OS. Making assumptions like that can cause people that do not know better major headaches and problems trying to fix something that is not broken. That is a bad assumption and very bad advice. The problem came to me later on as I remembered a tip I learned in this forum a few years ago. You must shut down Norton Antivirus before you can install ZA. Once I remembered this, I completely cleaned ZA off my system, then did a clean install of 9.2.106.000 with Norton shut down and things are back to normal.

Still, I have no clue as to what caused this at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information