Thread: Is my roommate trying to hack into my computer?

gugoo Guest

Question Is my roommate trying to hack into my computer?

Is my roommate trying to hack into my computer?

For example, I know his local IP Address to be 192.168.0.101 and ZoneAlarm keeps reporting that the Source IP 192.168.0.101 is trying to send something to my computer.

Also, if he has already installed a keylogger on my computer, are there any effective scanners that can get rid of a keylogger? or is my only option is to reformat my harddisk and reinstall Windows? (I generally leave the room unlock when I take a shower. Plus, my roommates had access to my room key -- because the landlady was on a vacation when I moved it so she left my room key with them.) My computer has been acting strangely since I moved into my current place. And for a weird reason, my 2 roommates seem to know (too much) about my private personal email conversations.

Lastly, I have never used Linux before, but if I switch to Ubuntu, will it be harder for people to hack into my computer?

Thanks in advance.

su_a_ve Guest

Default Re: Is my roommate trying to hack into my computer?

Not necessarily...

There are many chatty legit applications. For example, iTunes installs bonjour which tries to detect and connect to every computer on the local network to share and access other iTunes installations.

So it really depends on what ZA is reporting. What application is the other IP trying to access.

gugoo Guest

Question Re: Is my roommate trying to hack into my computer?

Thanks for the reply su_a_ve

The thing is in the program column, it doesn't say which program is trying to access my computer (i.e., it's blank in that column). In the protocol column, it shows both UDP and TCP (flags:S) though. Sometimes, it's my computer trying to send (source IP) to his computer too (destination IP). So I'm really curious if he has installed something funny in my computer, like a keylogger !? It's like it's really weird, because they know about my private email conversation. (The two roommates they're from the same country.)

Anyway, I'm going to reformat my computer soon. And I'll lock my room's door from now on, though I think that may cause some frictions -- but I guess that cannot be helped.

Thread Information