Thread: Win 7 Anti-Virus 2011 - ZA didn't notice

gooberpeas Guest

Default Win 7 Anti-Virus 2011 - ZA didn't notice

Windows 7 Home Premium | ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 9.3.014.000.

Last evening while googling, I clicked on a link in the results, and...all **** broke loose. My PC was taken over almost immediately by something calling itself "Win 7 Anti-Virus 2011".

I did not click on any of its prompts, but opened up ZA and checked for updates - it found none.

I then initiated a scan and went to bed.

Come this morning, ZA reported that it did not find anything. The alleged anti-virus thing was still there. I decided to re-start the PC, and after logging back in, I found I could not run anything, and ZA had not started up either. The thing had almost total control.

Because I work from home sometimes, I had a company laptop and used it to google for a solution and found a posting in the ZA forums reporting a similar problem. A kind soul named fax provided a reply which contained a link to a repair guide posted on bleepingcomputer.com. I was able to get rid of the bugger, but only because I had the laptop at home and could download one of the needed repair files to it, burn it to CD, then pop the CD into my infected PC, and was able to save the repair file to the desktop and continue with the repair steps from there.

I searched the ZoneAlarm.com site and found nothing about this threat, and here on the forums site, found only the one posting about it. I have to assume that ZA is still defenseless against this particular threat.

I am deeply disappointed in ZoneAlarm.

beth

Default Re: Win 7 Anti-Virus 2011 - ZA didn't notice

Both Windows 7 and Zone Alarm Extrem can not fully Protect you if you don't keep them Fully Updated and use the security Features available..

it is very important that you keep both Window 7 Fully Updated ( now at SP1) with several more Microsoft Bug Fixes,

and Keep Zone Alarm Extreme Fully Updated (your version is 7 months out of date) and Turn on the BROWSER Security and make sure Virtualization is Enabled..

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

1.) Your ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 9.3.014.000. is out of Date..
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 9.3.037.000. has many bug fixes and has been available since September of 2010..
    9.3.037.000 was released to the public on September 13, 2010. For changes in this version, click here.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gooberpeas Guest

George,

I appreciate the points you made, however, I have "Check for product updates: Automatically" selected so I don't have to remember to do it. However, when I clicked on the Check For Update button, I found that you are correct, there was a new version, which I have now installed.

So, my question back to you is - why didn't that update happen automatically?

My Windows version is up to date, which is also set to check automatically. Just to make sure, I clicked the Windows Update link and was told it is up to date.

As for Virtualization, Firefox is my browser of choice, and I understand from other posts elsewhere in the forums that Firefox 4 and ForceField will not be compatible until ZA version 10 comes out, which I hope will be soon. Please, don't tell me to use a different browser; Firefox is one of the most popular browsers in use, and I expect Mozilla and Checkpoint to work out the incompatibility issues in a timely fashion and not put the customer in the middle at risk.

~~snip~~

thank you, beth
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 9th, 2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: offtopic comments removed

Thank you for your Feedback..

I'm Sorry but We are all User here in this User Supported User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

1.) I explained in my previous post why your outdated version of Zone Alarm may have not detected your problem..

Also, Human intervention is the primary cause for infection..
    the Firewall and AV may warn your with a Po-pup, but cant prevent you from bypassing the warning, or stop you from opening attachments or clicking on website pop-ups..

I appreciate the points you made, however, I have "Check for product updates: Automatically" selected so I don't have to remember to do it. However, when I clicked on the Check For Update button, I found that you are correct, there was a new version, which I have now installed.

So, my question back to you is - why didn't that update happen automatically?
    Check for product updates: Automatically, feature Only Works if Checkpoint Marketing Dept. has turned ON the Update Notice on the Distribution Servers at their end..
    They Usually Only do this for Major Updates like change from Ver 9x to ver 10x or Emergency Bug fix.

That is Why I Posted this Comment with a Link to the Latest Available Version of Za Extreme..

"Keep Zone Alarm Extreme Fully Updated (your version is 7 months out of date) and Turn on the BROWSER Security and make sure Virtualization is Enabled.. "

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

The link above will provide current updates and a detailed list of fixes or new fetures in that file.
    ============

FireFox 4 is not a Zone Alarm Product, have you contacted Mozilla support yet?

Checkpoint Tech Support is in contact with "Mozilla" about Firefox 4 with developers and working on a Fix..

No ETA on a release date yet..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 9th, 2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gooberpeas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post

~~snip~~

Check for product updates: Automatically, feature Only Works if Checkpoint Marketing has turned on the Update Notice on the Distribution Servers at their end..
    They Usually Only do this for Major Updates like change from Ver 9x to ver 10x or Emergency Bug fix.
    This is a very interesting piece of information, and thank you for telling me.

~~snip~~

Thank you, beth
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 9th, 2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Sorry this is not a Chat Forum, some Comments were Offtopic..

Post Re: Win 7 Anti-Virus 2011 - ZA didn't notice

Your Welcome..

You should be notified by Checkpoint when the new Version 10 is available.. or you can ocationally check the Released History Link I gave you for any new content.

I am closing this thread since the issue have been addressed and no further information is available at this time.

Do not hesitate to PM me if you need to re-open it.

Thread Information