Thread: VSMON takes up CPU - flash videos jerky!

poppe Guest

Default VSMON takes up CPU - flash videos jerky!

Hello

I'm experiencing a real problem.

I've been a user of zonealarm for a long time, and currently have the ZA Antivirus edition.

If i watch youtube videos of very lowest resolution, they don't seem to be a problem. But if i watch videos of higher resolution it always starts going jerky, and the task manager tells me VSMON is taking up high cpu, around 50%.

If i watch videos of 360p it is jerky at first but then starts getting better.

If i watch videos of 720p it starts to be real hard to watch.

Videos of 1080p are impossible to watch, sound is find but picture goes maybe 1 frame per second.

If i shutdown zonealarm, everything works fine. The same problem is with another flash video website, it's not just youtube.

It is jerky only while the video is loading, and VSMON takes CPU while it loads the video. If i wait until the loading is finished, and start watching after that, there is no jerkiness! So it seems that VSMON "scans" the data somehow and makes the videos jerky. But i can't always wait for a whole video to load before i can start watching it, especially if it is a very long video.

I tried re-installing flash, firefox, Zonealarm itself etc. to no avail. Problem persists. I even used the appremover tool to uninstall the ZA.

System specs:

Windows XP Pro / SP3
    ZA Antivirus 9.3.037.000
    2 GB of RAM
    Core2 / 6600 CPU

I'd like to keep using ZA, but if this problem can't be fixed i have to change the Firewall software

Default Re: VSMON takes up CPU - flash videos jerky!

Sorry all users here. Try the latest beta and check if it works.. If not, report via the beta feedback form. The response will go directly to ZA developers.

Otherwise contact the official technical support at the link in my signature.
    Last edited by fax; April 10th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

poppe Guest

I googled for the problem, and found internet is full of similar problems.

"VSMON takes up CPU while loading something from the internet."

This is exactly my problem also.

And there was no working resolution.

I have the same version of ZAA on a laptop, which does not have this problem.
    Last edited by fax; April 11th, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: offtopic

Sorry no other suggestion than the one already given.

Closing this thread since we really can't add more here. You need to troubleshoot it with the beta team (best route). Official support most likely will not take any more bugs on the current version.

Do not hesitate to PM if you find a solution. It will help other users with your same problem

Thanks,
    Fax

poppe Guest

Default Re: ZAAV vsmon.exe eats 50% cpu capcity on High-Res youtube videos, like 1080p

I am having this same issue. Posted a thread about it, and it got closed very fast after getting suggestion to "use the Beta version to fix the problem".

I contacted official support and they told me to disable services not related to ZA, and it didn't help.

~SNIP~

I experience the problem most visibly by trying to watch high-res youtube videos, like 1080p. They are unwatchable, as vsmon chews up the cpu to 50%, and videos play 1 frame per 5 seconds. After shutting down ZAA, problem disappers, so i think it is causing it.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 12th, 2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: offtopic comments removed

Please go back to support and report it. There is no use reporting it back here, you need to keep following up with official support.
    We simply cannot help you here as users.

Any other offtopic/repeated posts related to the issue will be removed without further notice. Please PM me in case you want to post information related to the resolution of the issue. This will help other users having your same issue.

I thank you in advance for your understanding and support.
    Last edited by fax; April 12th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

Playing video and depending how the video was compressed and what codex that was used and the other aspects of video puts a huge burden on the CPU. Especially HD video 720P and 1080P

The additional CPU cycles in VSMON are to be expected on some machines.

Mainly XP does a bad job of handling video if you want to do anything else but watch the video only.

Win 7 is better but CPU, memory and video card make a big difference on win 7 also.

Our Testing does not indicate ZA puts the burden on the PC its the video playback and the system itself and HD video content is a huge burden to the CPU and ZA. ZA has to look at all the data streamed and HD video is huge and will take more cpu cycles.

A good quad or more core CPU along with Win 7 and a new video card and up to date drivers will handle 1080P just fine from our testing.

There nothing that can be done or fixed in ZA to make it better. Its all about the HD video and system specs.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information