Thread: VSMON Problems

rmorrisson Guest

Unhappy VSMON Problems

I have the same problem with vsmon and it is affecting several computers, all v9.037 and all but one running WinXP.

In one situation the system will slow to a crawl and Task Manager will show vsmon using large amounts of resources. This can go on for long periods of time. It can cause Internet access to drag and other processes to take a long time to open.

In another situation, which may be unrelated, I have seen a funny arrow on the Zone Alarm Z logo in the system tray. A mouse-over reveals that an update is running. There is no mention of what the update is and no way to stop it. It can run for hours.

One of the systems is a Windows Virtual PC, which is already slow, hosted on another system also protected by Zone Alarm. The vsmon problem and the update problem rendered the virtual machine useless, pegging the CPU usage at 100% and causing programs to take up to 5 minutes to load. ~snip~

My Windows 7 system is not having the problem but for some reason I do not see vsmon running.

I need to resolve this quickly. The license for the system running the virtual PC expires in two weeks. The license for the systems running Zone Alarm Extreme expires in two months. ~snip~
    Last edited by fax; April 26th, 2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: offtopic

Default Re: VSMON Problems

Hi!
    no version of ZA support the running on virtual environments or VM, etc...

There are many posts here about this, just an example:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70411

Sorry,
    fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rmorrisson Guest

Perhaps the VM is not supported but it has worked well in the past.

That does not explain why the CPU of the host machine was pegged when it had the update running, even with the virtual machine turned off. It also does not explain why another machine that has no virtual machine had the same problem.

Just what is that update and why doesn't the Zone Alarm GUI tell you anything is running?

Again known issues related to the antivirus updates slowing down the systems.. see various sticky threads in this forum.

Also you have plenty of forum posts on how to troubleshoot and solve CPU/vsmon issues. Via the use of MSCONFIG or the use of reset or etc...

Considering you seems having problems navigating this board, I would recommend you contact directly the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature (all users here). They will explain you how to troubleshoot the issues you are experiencing.

Also the best is to test the latest version of ZA beta where those known issues have been fixed (not the VM part - that is not fixable) and report directly to beta team if not.

Thanks,
    Fax

rmorrisson Guest

There are many postings about vsmon problems on this forum. Postings I have found with Google show problems going back many years.

The update problem is not the normal virus update. When that happens you can see the progress in the anti-virus window. This is something that is not being shown in the GUI.

For the past few weeks we have noticed a slow-down in Internet performance. I cannot say this is related to the update problem but it seems odd that several machines have been affected in two different locations.

As for problems navigating the board, I don't understand what you mean by that.

Quote Originally Posted by rmorrisson View Post
    There are many postings about vsmon problems on this forum. Postings I have found with Google show problems going back many years.
    Of course, vsmon is the main firewall drivers, since 2009 also the main antivirus driver. If a problem arise with ZA is often related to vsmon. This is normal. Most of the issue related to vsmon are related to conflicts with installed application or hardware conflicts or corruption of ZA settings or incorrect settings in ZA or not eough ram, non supported systems, etc. Some of these problems can be troubleshooted by selectively boot the system to find the culprit, others by resetting the ZA settings or by updating to the latest version.

Please note again that this is a user forum of users helping each others on common issues and problems. A search (using the search function of the forum, not google) will give you many source for inspiration and proposed solution to problems applicable to your case.

Otherwise as registered user of ZA products you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature. Considering we have posted all what we could about your problem I will soon close this thread.

Please do not hesitate to PM me in case you need to report how you have resolved the issue after having contacted the technical support. This will help other users browsing this board to find solutions.

If you are genuinly interested in improving the ZA product line then I would recommend you test the latest beta and feedback directly the development team. You will help ZA to become a better product.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; April 27th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.

Thread Information