Thread: impressions after updating from free ZA 6.1.744 to 9.2.102

johnnybob Guest

Thumbs down impressions after updating from free ZA 6.1.744 to 9.2.102

I've used free ZA 6.1.744 for many years because subsequent versions were too quirky on my Windows XP Home SP3. Yesterday I became curious so am trying the latest free 9.2.102.

It seems light on resources, perhaps less processor usage than the older version. That's just from eyeballing the processes in Windows Task Manager.

I was surprised to be required to accept/reject some Networking items for ZA permission when I first rebooted my computer. I don't know anything about networking, zilch, so didn't know what to do. I accepted them but am worried. That added a couple of items to my Firewall Trusted zone:
    "New Network" 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 Network Trusted
    "DHCP Server" 192.168.1.1 IP Address Trusted
    Are those correct and safe?

The first couple of times I rebooted my computer, there was a ZA nag screen that came up and had to be clicked off before I could proceed. That's unacceptable. Fortunately it has disappeared during the last few reboots. I don't know why it vanished unless it's because I changed some settings. If the nag screen comes back I'll probably revert to ZA 6.1.744.

SmartDefense is something new. Either it's not working right or I don't understand it yet. Even though I set SmartDefense Advisor to Manual, some programs do not produce a query (ask my permission) and appear in the Programs list as Auto. Even if I set them to Custom then remove them, they come back later as Auto - never asking my permission. The only choice seems to be to leave them in the program list with the Custom designation, then they don't switch to Auto. However I'm worried that I am/was never asked permission for them to proceed.

There are a lot of new items that appear in the program list that I didn't see with the older ZA version. I don't recognize most of them. Examples: Client Server Runtime Process, LSA Shell (Export Version), Server Driver, Services and Controller app, Userinit Logon Application, Windows NT Logon Application, Windows NT Session Manager. I don't really know what to do with them but have set them to Custom with Server rights blocked. They never ask for my permission, so it's pointless to set their Trusted and Internet Access to Allow (might just as well leave the ? there).

I know that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is supposed to have Server rights in the Trusted zone. I'm not aware of anything else in the Windows XP op system that should have Server rights. Is there anything else?

One of my programs (DVDFab) produces a spray of 6 entries in the Programs list. It only appeared as a single entry in the older ZA version. It never asks permission. That concerns me. All I can do apparently is leave the spray of 6 entries and block/allow them in a Custom manner. If it's removed while set as a Custom app, it comes back automatically as an Auto without asking my permission to proceed.

As best I can recall, all my apps and processes asked for permission to access the internet with the older ZA version, so that appears to be a weakness of the new ZA version. Am I overlooking something here, such as a special setting or method that makes everything ask for permission?

I'm surprised to discover the ZA now includes an anti-phishing feature built-in, and I don't see any way to turn it off. Everybody and their cousin has this feature now, so it's redundant! I don't need it or want it. Is there any way to disable or remove it from ZA?

I'm pleasantly surprised that the email and antivirus monitoring features in the older version have been removed in ZA 9.2. I don't want them or need them. Again everybody and their brother has these now via other softwares, so they're likely to conflict.

I guess that's about it. The jury is still out. I don't yet know if I'll keep the new version or revert to the old one. It's a toss-up (50:50 chance) at this point.

The main thing that attracts me to ZA is the simplicity of operation and relative ease of understanding, and both the old and new versions have that virtue - although the older version was a little easier. The other firewalls I've tried require technical wizardry and are very complex to setup & operate. So I'm likely to stick with ZA, the only question is: which version???

Default Re: impressions after updating from free ZA 6.1.744 to 9.2.102

Please note we are all users here and no ZA staff. Answer given should be taken as they are... from other users.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybob View Post
    I've used free ZA 6.1.744 for many years because subsequent versions were too quirky on my Windows XP Home SP3. Yesterday I became curious so am trying the latest free 9.2.102.
    I wonder how you managed to use ZA 6.1 since it contains expired certificates and do not work anymore on any system unless the system is back dated.

I was surprised to be required to accept/reject some Networking items for ZA permission when I first rebooted my computer. I don't know anything about networking, zilch, so didn't know what to do. I accepted them but am worried. That added a couple of items to my Firewall Trusted zone:
    "New Network" 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 Network Trusted
    "DHCP Server" 192.168.1.1 IP Address Trusted
    Are those correct and safe?
    Yes, normal behaviour.

The first couple of times I rebooted my computer, there was a ZA nag screen that came up and had to be clicked off before I could proceed. That's unacceptable. Fortunately it has disappeared during the last few reboots. I don't know why it vanished unless it's because I changed some settings. If the nag screen comes back I'll probably revert to ZA 6.1.744.
    yes, normal. This is by design, you may get offers or messages by ZA and you cannot block them. Take it or leave it. Plenty of choice out there.

SmartDefense is something new. Either it's not working right or I don't understand it yet. Even though I set SmartDefense Advisor to Manual, some programs do not produce a query (ask my permission) and appear in the Programs list as Auto. Even if I set them to Custom then remove them, they come back later as Auto - never asking my permission. The only choice seems to be to leave them in the program list with the Custom designation, then they don't switch to Auto. However I'm worried that I am/was never asked permission for them to proceed.
    Not normal, program set to custom should not revert to auto. MS certified programs will get auto access regardless of the permission unless you UNcheck the options in the advance settings. Look to the built-in help to familiaries with the new features. [/QUOTE]

Not keeping the choices made is an indication that ZA settings are not correctly saved and ZA does not work correctly.

There are a lot of new items that appear in the program list that I didn't see with the older ZA version. I don't recognize most of them. Examples: Client Server Runtime Process, LSA Shell (Export Version), Server Driver, Services and Controller app, Userinit Logon Application, Windows NT Logon Application, Windows NT Session Manager. I don't really know what to do with them but have set them to Custom with Server rights blocked. They never ask for my permission, so it's pointless to set their Trusted and Internet Access to Allow (might just as well leave the ? there).

I know that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is supposed to have Server rights in the Trusted zone. I'm not aware of anything else in the Windows XP op system that should have Server rights. Is there anything else?
    These are the settings that are given by the central ZA database of known good and known bad programs. These are normally set to maximise compatibility and security and minimise problems. You will need to check with developers why X program is given Y permission and not Z one. You can change at your wish but be ready to troubleshoot problems or foresinc issues that may be not easy to trace back to a ZA change.

One of my programs (DVDFab) produces a spray of 6 entries in the Programs list. It only appeared as a single entry in the older ZA version. It never asks permission. That concerns me. All I can do apparently is leave the spray of 6 entries and block/allow them in a Custom manner. If it's removed while set as a Custom app, it comes back automatically as an Auto without asking my permission to proceed.
    Custom shifting to Auto is not normal as already explained

As best I can recall, all my apps and processes asked for permission to access the internet with the older ZA version, so that appears to be a weakness of the new ZA version. Am I overlooking something here, such as a special setting or method that makes everything ask for permission?
    Search in the Help or read the manual for understanding the new features in ZA 9.2. Known good programs will automatically given permission to connect and work freely on the system. Known bad will be automatically blocked. Unknown programs will trigger a prompt.

I'm surprised to discover the ZA now includes an anti-phishing feature built-in, and I don't see any way to turn it off. Everybody and their cousin has this feature now, so it's redundant! I don't need it or want it. Is there any way to disable or remove it from ZA?
    Remove the toolbar and you will remove the feature. Don't know other ways.

P.S. Update to latest version 9.2.106.000

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnnybob Guest

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm not inclined to undertake a research project as to why the free ZA 9.2 version doesn't work correctly re Auto/Custom, etc, on my XP Home SP3 system. I don't have the time nor technical expertise. So I decided to drop 9.2 and return to 6.1. Actually I made this decision before I read your detailed reply above in this thread, so you didn't cause it. Your response was very helpful.

In that regard I can report that the current ZA uninstall utility (Bleep) appeared to work well to remove 9.2 - fast and clean. As for my previous uninstall of 6.1, I added " /clean" to the old original uninstall .exe (zauninst.exe) command line and followed expert directions from various sources how do it cleanly. Apparently I was successful. I've done it several times before, and it's important to do it correctly because it can crash the op system (as I did in one instance).

I save copies of all older versions of software that I download, so that's never a problem for me. Otherwise most are available for download somewhere by searching the internet for old versions or applications. I have an older computer (7 years old) and find that often the old versions of software work better for me - before they were modified to accommodate Windows Vista/7. They're usually smaller too.

I now have free ZA 6.1.744.001 reinstalled and it appears to work fine. If any certificates are expired, as you indicate, I'm unaware. I don't backdate it nor do anything special. The only thing that seems to be expired is antivirus monitoring, but I don't want that feature anyway. Of course I set it for manual updates, like I do with all of my software - so possibly that prevents it from being disabled by expired certificates...?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 3rd, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Great! Thank you for posting your story. Since you already found all your answers and went back to version 6 I will close this thread.
    I normally recommend to all users reading this not to follow your example since

ZA 6 is not officially supported and may contain critical undisclosed vulnerablities and issues that may hamper your security.

No need to use the cpsclean.exe, uninstall routine in latest ZAfree version already incluse the /clean procedure by default.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 6th, 2011 at 01:11 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information