Thread: [SOLVED] Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage -> Malware issues

pkwrites Guest

Default [SOLVED] Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage -> Malware issues

I've managed to lock myself out of Internet Explorer, but cannot find how. I had the "IGive" toolbar on my system and yesterday IGVTT.exe came back with many prompts regarding access to the Internet. I wasn't here and my husband said "No" to everything therefore blocking igvtt from accessing the internet. Today when I tried to get on to the system I couldn't. I checked the ZA logs and found repeated times where igvtt.exe tried to launch "c:windows\system32\regsvr32.exe" but was blocked by my husband. I went in today and deleted the Igive toolbar and files associated with it hoping that would help but it didn't.

I then compared my laptop ZA settings against my other system's ZA settings and cannot find any variations. Is there anything you can think of that I can do to gain access to the Internet? I even tried shutting down ZA to see if I could get on, but nothing. Now here is what is really confusing me: This laptop will allow me to access my Gmail account, but won't let me go to the internet. The system won't allow me to use System Restore either. I've tried going back to a checkpoint time, and also randomly picking a restore point, but I receive error messages stating the restore could not be completed. Of course it didn't tell me why.
    I graciously accept any suggestions you folks might have.
    Thanks so much,
    Phyllis

Default Re: Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage

An easy check to forensic if it is an issue with ZA or not is to shutdown ZA.

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> and select "Shutdown ZoneAlarm...." --> wait 2 minutes and try. Still problems? Then its not ZA.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pkwrites Guest

Hi Guru:
    Thank you for writing. I should have mentioned that I tried that earlier. Shutting down ZA has no effect on the situation. Also I ran a full ZA scan, 3 infections were found. ZA repaired them after which I re-booted and again, I still cannot access the Internet.

Also I neglected to mention that I have Windows XP, ZA 9.3014 and IE 8. I'm seriously considering stripping everything off the machine and starting over.

Thanks so much again,
    Phyllis

Uuuhm... old ZA version. Hoepfully your XP is up to date?

The malware has damaged your system. Better you follow ALL steps as detailed here:

Malware Clean-up Guidance

Once your system is clean and working time to look here:

xyz was not detected. What I should do?

Fax

pkwrites Guest

Dear Fax:
    It has been a long day cleaning my laptop using all the suggestions you provided. I use my laptop for research as some of the keys don't function -- it's mostly a point & click affair, but my research takes me all over the world.

Anyway, all the software you recommended worked beautifully. I had a lot of lurking trojans which confuses me because I thought ZA would prevent that sort of thing.

When I arrived at the Dr. Web live CD portion of your instructions, I could not download that software at all. At that point, I took a dinner break to clear my head. When I returned, I noticed the ZA had performed its daily anti-virus update and had even quarantined a trojan virus.

This was strange -- I couldn't access the internet, but ZA could come to me. I followed your advice and shut down System Restore. While it was down, I used Super AntiSPY to do another scan and it came back clean. I rebooted and turned System Restore back on.

While it was booting, it bothered me that ZA could access my machine for an update. So I decided to reset Internet Explorer and finally am back on live with my laptop. What a journey this has been today. At this point I can't decide whether to purchase Super AntiSpy or not -- and I'm going to make sure ZA is up-to-date on all my machines.

You have been a tremendous help -- From the bottom of my heart, I thank you and I thank you.

All good wishes,
    Phyllis

You're welcome!
    I am glad to hear your system works better.

Now time to read the second post to improve your security.

You do not need to buy superantispyware or malwarebytes... the retail version can conflicts with ZA. Just keep malwarebytes free as a second opinion scanner.

Always keep your ZA updated and active.

pkwrites Guest

Hi Fax:
    Okay... will do. Definitely I'll keep my ZA up to date and it's good to know that I don't have to buy anything else. I've had ZA for more years than I can remember and have always been happy with it.
    Thank you again... You saved my life!!

All good wishes,
    Phyllis

Thread Information