Thread: [SOLVED] CamStudio Version 2.00 -> Forcefield related

multiweb Guest

Default [SOLVED] CamStudio Version 2.00 -> Forcefield related

I'm having the worst problems doing screen capture. It records a blank AVI (black) no matter what codec I use or what screen res/color depth I use. I'm on Win7 64bit, 24GB RAM i7-950. I'm using Zonealarm Extreme security version 9.3.037.000. The capture program (CamStudio) worked on first install. But not after a reboot so I'm inclined to think ZA (black)listed some obscure process or is stopping the screen capture itself. I have the exact same problem with the trail version of Camtasia. Will work after install, but then same behaviour -> black screen. I've checked all the background processes including Recorder.exe *32 that is active during capture to no avail. Running as admin or in WinXP sp3 compatibility mode, turned firewall (ZA) off, etc... I'm at my wit's end on this one Any help or pointers would be greatly apprciated. Thanks.

Default Re: CamStudio Version 2.00

A search could have helped. A common issue with a simple solution

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...36&postcount=2

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

multiweb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    A search could have helped. A common issue with a simple solution

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...36&postcount=2

Thanks,
    Fax
    Hi Fax, thanks for the quick reply. I did a search on the forum about camstudio and also googled camstudio and ZA but I couldn't find any relevant info. I read something about ZA force shield in Google and that's what prompted me to look further into ZA and those forums see if the problem was there.

Anyway I had already tried the 'Only in allegedly secure sessions (https)' and that didn't work. Reading further the post on the link you've provided I then tried to turn Off Browser Security altogether and restarted ZA. That did it. Camstudio captured ok. I then turned Browser Security back on and rebooted the PC. Camstudio is now still capturing fine with Browser Security turned ON.

I don't understand why but it's working anyway now so I'm not complaining. What threw me in the first place trying to figure out the problem is that it seems nothing was logged anywhere when Camstudio was blocked. Browser security doesn't seem to log anything in ZA logs or am I looking in the wrong place?

No, you are right there is no log. What you describe (black screen) is the typical effect of key/screen antilogging software. The option in ZA is governed by forcefield.

Yes, this has been posted many times... not under camstudio but under any software that needs to record or log your system. ZA does not target a specific software just all.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 11th, 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information