Thread: ZoneAlarm Free and Avast

teppes99 Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free and Avast

I have 2 laptops running ZoneAlarm Free version 9.2.106.000. One laptop is a Dell Inspiron e1505 running Windows XP Media Center and the other is a Dell Latitude d630 running Windows XP Pro, both are fully updated to SP3. I was using ZoneAlarm Free and AVG Free Anti-virus on both laptops, but decided to switch over to Avast Free Anti-virus. I did a full uninstall of AVG on both computers, and installed Avast. On the Inspiron e1505 Avast installed fine and runs fine with ZoneAlarm. However, on the Latitude d630 when I installed Avast, ZoneAlarm stopped working. ZoneAlarm would not completely load. The icon would appear in the tray and when I hovered over it, it would say "Protection is Up, UI is initializing", and would stop there. If I tried to open Firefox or IE the computer would crash. Rebooting did not help, I had the same issue each time. When I removed ZoneAlarm the computer ran fine. When I reinstalled ZoneAlarm I had the same issue. When I uninstalled Avast the computer ran fine. When I reinstalled Avast I had the same issue. I tried wiping the HD and reinstalling Windows clean, but as soon as I installed ZoneAlarm and Avast I had the same issue. I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled AVG and the computer worked fine again.
    After that long explanation, here is my question. Why will ZoneAlarm Free work fine with Avast on one computer, but will not work on another computer? Any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free and Avast

Probably an harware conflict or a conflict with software drivers or some third party software (e.g. dell or printer or internet connection software) that conflicts with ZA.

Hopefully other user here have better ideas to help you?

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by teppes99 View Post
    I have 2 laptops running ZoneAlarm Free version 9.2.106.000. One laptop is a Dell Inspiron e1505 running Windows XP Media Center and the other is a Dell Latitude d630 running Windows XP Pro, both are fully updated to SP3. I was using ZoneAlarm Free and AVG Free Anti-virus on both laptops, but decided to switch over to Avast Free Anti-virus. I did a full uninstall of AVG on both computers, and installed Avast. On the Inspiron e1505 Avast installed fine and runs fine with ZoneAlarm. However, on the Latitude d630 when I installed Avast, ZoneAlarm stopped working. ZoneAlarm would not completely load. The icon would appear in the tray and when I hovered over it, it would say "Protection is Up, UI is initializing", and would stop there. If I tried to open Firefox or IE the computer would crash. Rebooting did not help, I had the same issue each time. When I removed ZoneAlarm the computer ran fine. When I reinstalled ZoneAlarm I had the same issue. When I uninstalled Avast the computer ran fine. When I reinstalled Avast I had the same issue. I tried wiping the HD and reinstalling Windows clean, but as soon as I installed ZoneAlarm and Avast I had the same issue. I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled AVG and the computer worked fine again.
    After that long explanation, here is my question. Why will ZoneAlarm Free work fine with Avast on one computer, but will not work on another computer? Any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks.
    There are special uninstall tools for both AVG and Avast - did you run them before doing any reinstalls? See Uninstallers list for links to removal tools. If you've ever had Norton/Symantec or McAfee on the computer you may have leftovers causing conflict and need to run their removal tool - links in the Uninstaller list.

The Avast forum has had a number of posters running XP with issues/conflicts between zone alarm and Avast. Per the Avast thread ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 6.0.1091 **
    I'm glad to announce the general availability of a new avast program update, version 6.0.1091.

Here's a list of most important changes:
    - solved a compatibility problem with ZoneAlarm (WinXP)
    Note I've truncated the change log above to just include the zone alarm change.

If you haven't already done so, you might post on the Avast forum
    - maybe the conflict between zone alarm and Avast running on an XP computer still has issues.

Regards,
    Findley

teppes99 Guest

I had previously used the full uninstall programs to completely remove AVG and Avast, with no luck. Yesterday I installed the latest version of Avast (6.0.1125) and it installed without a problem and it works most of the time. I randomly get the "Protection is up, UI is initializing" but I can still use the computer without it crashing. So the new Avast seems to have solved the problem.
    However, on both laptops, with wireless internet, everytime I boot the computers, I get a window saying "New Network Found". Each time it gives me the IP address of my home network. I've tried giving it a new name and saving the settings, but each reboot the message comes up. I've tried some of the solutions I've seen on here but none help. When I open ZoneAlarm and go to Firewalls, Main, Advanced, I don't have the network tap where I can add exclusions. Am I going to the wrong selection?
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    By the way, I'm using ZoneAlarm Free version 9.2.106.000
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 14th, 2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: More information

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by teppes99 View Post
    I had previously used the full uninstall programs to completely remove AVG and Avast, with no luck. Yesterday I installed the latest version of Avast (6.0.1125) and it installed without a problem and it works most of the time. I randomly get the "Protection is up, UI is initializing" but I can still use the computer without it crashing. So the new Avast seems to have solved the problem.
    However, on both laptops, with wireless internet, everytime I boot the computers, I get a window saying "New Network Found". Each time it gives me the IP address of my home network. I've tried giving it a new name and saving the settings, but each reboot the message comes up. I've tried some of the solutions I've seen on here but none help. When I open ZoneAlarm and go to Firewalls, Main, Advanced, I don't have the network tap where I can add exclusions. Am I going to the wrong selection?
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    By the way, I'm using ZoneAlarm Free version 9.2.106.000
    [SOLVED] New Network found keeps showing up

[WORKAROUND] Also Found new network --> Remove Third Party Utilities

New Network Found

Thread Information