Thread: ZoneAlarm Free affecting other programs

nerfherder23 Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free affecting other programs

Hello all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to post. I've been using the ZoneAlarm free firewall for several years now. About 2 weeks ago, some programs started freezing. For instance, I would start Google Chrome or Firefox. It would freeze. I would go to the task manager to end the browsers, and then task manager would freeze. After that, the computer would not be able to restart or shut down (requiring a forced shutdown).

While in Safemode with Networking, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm because it seemed to be slowing down a wireless connection. When I restarted in normal Windows, everything worked fine. When ZoneAlarm was reinstalled, programs began to crash again, leading me to believe the firewall is the cause.

Any advice? I'm using Windows XP Professional (SP3) by the way.

Thanks in advance,
    Will

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free affecting other programs

Quote Originally Posted by nerfherder23 View Post
    Hello all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to post. I've been using the ZoneAlarm free firewall for several years now. About 2 weeks ago, some programs started freezing. For instance, I would start Google Chrome or Firefox. It would freeze. I would go to the task manager to end the browsers, and then task manager would freeze. After that, the computer would not be able to restart or shut down (requiring a forced shutdown).

While in Safemode with Networking, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm because it seemed to be slowing down a wireless connection. When I restarted in normal Windows, everything worked fine. When ZoneAlarm was reinstalled, programs began to crash again, leading me to believe the firewall is the cause.

Any advice? I'm using Windows XP Professional (SP3) by the way.

Thanks in advance,
    Will
    Since your Problem deals with Zone Alarm Free, I have moved your Post into the Zone Alarm Free Area of this ZA Forum..

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here, it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

It is normally Helpful when posting here to give full details of your computer setup and Software Versions.

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version used, other security tools installed.
    Stopped working recently? other issues? Error messages in the ZA logs?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

also is this a DeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook.

What Version of FireFox and Chrome?

Sorry,

ZoneAlarm security toolbar and ForceField version 9.x and below are not compatible with Firefox 4 and IE 9

We are currently in beta with a new version which will be compatible once its been release to the public.

The ETA when ZA 10 will be released is June 7, 2011.

You can test the compatibility of Firefox 4 and IE 9 with the latest Extreme 10 version which is compatible with FireFox 4 and IE9.

Forcefield will be compatible with IE9 and Firefox 4 after ZoneAlarm 10 is released to the publicn June 7th.

At this time those browsers are not supported in version 9.x.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 16th, 2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information