Thread: ZoneAlarm resetting program controls

MysticalFrog Guest

Default ZoneAlarm resetting program controls

In the Programs section of Program Control, I am finding that my choices to Allow, Block, or Ask in either or both of the Access and Server side are being reset. I set most of the Server side for both Internet and Trusted to "Block", and for the Access side I set most to "Ask". I am finding that my settings aren't being saved and that programs initially denied access are being granted it anyway. Is this a glitch in ZA or should I suspect malware?

I am finding it happening on Windows XP machines running ZA 7.0.337.000 and a Windows XP and Windows 7 machines running v. 9.2.102.000. The worst case was found this morning on the XP running 7 in which all of the Server permissions were set to ask, and several of the programs were set to allow. Additionally, all but one of my entries in the Firewall section were removed---only the ethernet controller entry remained.

Is it normal for programs to change my preferences in the Program Controls, or is something malicious afoot? Thanks for any assistance.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm resetting program controls

Please be aware that running outdated version of ZA may expose you to security risk due to potential undisclosed vulnerability and bugs. Running old security tools is like running no tools. Better to chose another software but up-to-date. The latest version of ZAfree is 9.2.106.00 that can be downloaded here:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-download.htm#

What you describe is normally due to ZA databases not been saved correctly and thus been corrupted. Corruption of ZA databases can be linked to many different causes such as:

- conflicts with other software installed;
    - incorrect permission at OS or registry levels
    - malware infections
    - system crash or hang recently or often
    - cold shutdown (improper shutdown of the machine)

Try to reset the ZA settings, this way (only valid for version 9):

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

For version ZA prior to version 9:

1.) If you are running Windows 95/98/Me/XP/2000, reboot your system into Safe Mode. Your OS determines the method, but normally pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during bootup, will work. For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in "Safe Mode". Double- click "Start Windows in Safe Mode" for the instructions.
    2.) Open the Internet Logs directory (in 9x/ME this will be "c:\windows\internet logs", in NT/2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs, in Windows XP it could be either of these folders).
    3.) Delete all files that have the extension .RDB, .LDB, or TMP.
    4.) Empty your Recycle Bin.
    5.) Reboot your system.

Please note that permissions of programs may been set back to default if executable are updated or overwritten by new versions. To ensure you are prompted again you will need to turn fully OFF the ZA smartdefense.

Also note that MS signed executable are grant permission regardless of the programs settings unless you UNcheck the option "Enable Microsoft catalog utilization". Be aware that with both smartdefense and MS OFF you will be flooded by request for permission. Windows 7 is much more in need of server rights for many of its executables, not granting them can harm your system and its stability.
    Last edited by fax; May 22nd, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information