Thread: Thanks and a tiny query

John Bull Guest

Default Thanks and a tiny query

Firstly, I have your ZA Free version 96.106.000 and i like it VERY much. It works well with all my other programs including Firefox and Sandboxie. Not a bit of trouble and seems to be extremely efficient. Well done ZA and a huge thanks.

Question ?

It captures all the programs that float around my system and deals with them perfectly. I vet the list frequently and customise the setting. No problems.

But, on the program list, there are a lot of programs listed under ASK. Well, they must have been active to get on the list, but ZA never ASKED me. Most of them are Microsoft and Windows programs.

ZA does ASK occasionally regarding certain programs, mainly when I am executing them for the first time or the "remember" is not checked.

Many thanks
    John

Default Re: Thanks and a tiny query

Hi!

The latest ZAfree inherited the smardefense function from the retail versions. While in the retail version also include HIPS (monitoring for dangerous behaviour) the ZAFree one only provides local/internet zone(s) outbound control.

Programs and executable are added to the program list but they are dormant unless they access to the local/internet zone(s). On default settings, executables and files are given permissions based on the central ZA database of known good / know bad (cloud). If the file is not presented in the central database it will be added but you will see "?" all accross the different sections.

On top of the smartdefense, Microsoft certified executables are granted access automatically regardless of the program control settings. If you want to turn OFF this feature you will need to UNcheck "Enable Microsoft catalog utilization" (somewhere in the advanced options). The same applies to smartdefense database that can be turned off under the ZA program control section.

With both features turned OFF you will flooded by requests (especially on fresh install of ZA) and normally this is not recommened unless you know what are you doing. Blocking permissions to certain executables may only give raise to issues under particular scenarios that are not easy to track back to ZA once they happen.

Always keep in mind that ZAfree offers limited outbound control on the system as compared to the retail version, you will need to adapt yourself to those limitations (including no support) otherwise you may want starting testing other free tools to see if they better fit your needs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

John Bull Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

The latest ZAfree inherited the smardefense function from the retail versions. While in the retail version also include HIPS (monitoring for dangerous behaviour) the ZAFree one only provides local/internet zone(s) outbound control.

Programs and executable are added to the program list but they are dormant unless they access to the local/internet zone(s). On default settings, executables and files are given permissions based on the central ZA database of known good / know bad (cloud). If the file is not presented in the central database it will be added but you will see "?" all accross the different sections.

On top of the smartdefense, Microsoft certified executables are granted access automatically regardless of the program control settings. If you want to turn OFF this feature you will need to UNcheck "Enable Microsoft catalog utilization" (somewhere in the advanced options). The same applies to smartdefense database that can be turned off under the ZA program control section.

With both features turned OFF you will flooded by requests (especially on fresh install of ZA) and normally this is not recommened unless you know what are you doing. Blocking permissions to certain executables may only give raise to issues under particular scenarios that are not easy to track back to ZA once they happen.

Always keep in mind that ZAfree offers limited outbound control on the system as compared to the retail version, you will need to adapt yourself to those limitations (including no support) otherwise you may want starting testing other free tools to see if they better fit your needs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Help ? Your post more than helps, it is a complete explanation of what happens with my ZA Free (which I think is great).
    I can only thank you for such a comprehensive reply and for taking the time to post and now understand how it all works.

John

I am really glad to hear those explanations were more than helpful.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information