Thread: Unknown DAT files in temp folder

Snarkley Guest

Default Unknown DAT files in temp folder

Using ZAP 93037, and standalone ForceField, Windows XP. Lately I've been getting some unknown DAT files in the "documents and settings/user/local settings/temp" folder that appears to be dated about the time ForceField shuts down when shutting down Windows to end a session. I don't know for sure they are related to ForceField or not. They are always exactly 1,626 bytes in size, and have a file name in the format below (but the actual letters and numbers appear to vary randomly with each session)

6DBC95FA-6A7D-50CE-4BC9-7DA632B8BA7C.DAT

Sometimes there is one at shutdown, sometimes two, but each one is always 1,626 bytes in size.

I tried to "open" one with Wordpad, since that often allows one to see some evidence of what program might have created it. But when I open one of these, only thing I see is some "machine language" with unknown symbols and code, so I can't trace it to a particular program.

Has anyone else noticed such files in your user/local settings/temp folder (not the Windows/temp) ? Thanks.
    Last edited by Snarkley; May 31st, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Default Re: Unknown DAT files in temp folder

Hi!

two simple approaches to know if they are originated by Forcefield.

1. Turn OFF forcefield and check if this files are still created, or even better:
    2. Contact ZA technical support and ask them about it.

Let us know the result especially for point 2 since it will for sure clarify the issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Snarkley Guest

Well, I talked to Tech Support twice in the last day. First time, the agent said her training didn't go that high to know about files in the temp directory. So I thought I'd try again on a later shift. This time a different tech didn't recognize the file format and size, so was unable to comment. I suspect that if it IS a ForceField file, then a programmer would probably recognize the format and know if it's one of their files or not, but you don't get that high when you go through tech support.

I'm still doing some testing to see if the files appear after I've shutdown Forcefield manually, then later shutdown Windows.

But would also appreciate if anyone using ForceField has time to check their user/local settings/temp folder to see if they have any files like:

E7B46C34-E52C-6CB1-D662-B9CD352E7A2D.DAT
    Mine are all 1,626 bytes.

Thanks.

Here I don't have them but I am using WIN7 and latest beta of ZAX.

Cheers,
    Fax

I agree with Guru Fax,

I have looked and don't have them either..

I have ZA Extreme ver. 9.3.037.000 I have ZA Extreme running Good on three (3) of my Computers with Windows 7 SP1 two are 64-bit and one is 32-bit,

Also, you mentioned that you have the Standalone version of Forcefield, most of us users are not running the Standalone version of Forcefield that may be discontinued when ZA Version 10 is released?

Its best to upgrade to Extreme. Its un-clear if they will continue because the technology of the standalone version is not the same as the Extreme version.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 3rd, 2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Long time ForceField (standalone) version user but don't have it installed to verify.I'm in my sixth day of running trial period of ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.3.037.000 on XP SP3.

If the DAT file in question was created by standalone version, it must be exclusive to the ForceField standalone only.I did a search and it's not created by ZAES 9.3.037.000.

If you have time left on your ForceField license contact Customer Service when they release ZAES 10.They will issue a new license for ZAES 10 for the time left on ForceField license.I have 63 days before ForceField expires.Hope they release it soon, to make sure I have no issues with version 10.

Still have 31 days on ZASS.That's why using 30 day trial period of ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.3.037.000. in case there are issues with version 10.No issues with 9.3.037.000.

Footnote :

Got info about license on ForceField (standalone) from Customer Service Live Chat.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 2nd, 2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Footnote, Typo

The forcefield in ZAX is largely the same as the standalone version especially for the core activities. So, if ZAX does not write those DAT files also the standalone will not.

and, yes... ZA10 seems approaching very soon. As indicated here:
    Version 10 of ZA, so you should be fine.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information