Thread: ZAfree 9: "New Network Found" and "Protection is up, UI is initializing"

Hybrid View

scot Guest

Default ZAfree 9: "New Network Found" and "Protection is up, UI is initializing"

I am running ZA Free version 9.2.106.000 at the end of May 2011, and I am still plagued with the "New Network Found" window on two desktops connected directly, and a third one connected wirelessly, to my 3Com 3CRWE554G72T router. Each time, I give the new network the same name as the existing one, and add it to the "trusted zone". Afterwards, I note that it never adds duplicate entries in the Firewall Zone chart.
    All desktops are running Windows XPH SP3 and only the wireless one had this fault before I replaced ZA version 102 with version 106. I uninstalled and cleaned out all ZA files, and did clean installs on all PCs without improvement. The other protection programs on the PCs are AVG 10, Ad-Aware 9.0.6, Spybot S&D 1.6.2, Spyware Blaster 4.4
    I know this subject has been raised many times, I think I must have read most of the threads.
    On July 16th 2010 the Forum-Moderator suggested "The database files that store configuration information for ZoneAlarm may have been corrupted."
    On Dec 9th 2010 the Forum-Moderator stated "We have determined the root cause is corrupt database files and we have a fix for this coming in the next major release in 2011."
    If he was referring to version 106, it only made matters worse. If not, then when will the "next major release in 2011" arrive? As version 106 also brought frequent "Protection is up, UI is initializing" failures, and the "Anti-phishing" mode now always switches itself off each time I start a PC - I am considering regretfully ending more than 10 years reliance on ZA. My wife is making life **** over it!

Default Re: Pinning hope on "next major Release in 2011"

The next major release will be version 10.

It will be released very very soon. We always release major updates to paid products first then later the free version. So really don't know when the free version will get updated.

Under XP we have done our best with trying to resolve the new network found issue. In version 10 it will improve somemore but it will never be 100% completely fixed. Due to limitation as far as what we can do in the old XP OS we reached the limit of fixes that can be done for this issue.

As far as the initialization issue there really no new Specific fixes for that in free ZA 10. It generally happens much more often on XP OS systems than on Win 7 systems.

This issue happens due to some other software or processes on the PC that are not allowing our software to start up properly.

Every PC is different. Some people never see this issue some see it once or twice others see it everytime they boot. If you personally feel its not acceptable it may be time to reconsider.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

scot Guest

Default Re: Pinning hope on "next major Release in 2011"

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    The next major release will be version 10. It will be released very very soon. We always release major updates to paid products first then later the free version. So really don't know when the free version will get updated.
    That's fine, and fair enough.

As for the other points - ZAF has been the cream of the crop, and had very little trouble with Windows up to XP, including SP3, until v.102 and v.106. Can't complain, as it is free, but what a pity to see it changing from the Beauty into the Beast -sic transit gloria mundi. I'll give it a final try with version 10.

Meanwhile, thanks for the very quick response - that at least is encouraging.
    Last edited by fax; June 4th, 2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: fix quote

Thread Information