Thread: Good upgrading to new ZA12?

ems Guest

Exclamation Good upgrading to new ZA12?

Veteran ZA user, since 2003. My current working product/version is ZASS/V7 on XP/SP3. But, since the V7 times I have been unable to upgrade to versions 8 & 9. For that reason I have been using ZASS as a nude Firewall along with the antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials. Not worth-mentioning the whole story, which I have already forgotten.

Yet, I am still the owner of the corresponding ZASS license (although stuck at version 7). So, the above said is about the pass; now let us talk about the present and future.

My question goes below :

I have a new Windows 7 based machine and, I am thinkg of getting installed the newest version of ZA on it; so I wonder whether I can upgrade from my V7/ZASS to either ZA Pro Firewall or ZASS. Of course the older XP/SP3 based machine would keep the firewall of ZASS/v7 since this machine collapses as soon as I attempt to install versions 8/9 and probably the same with v10. I don want take more risks on this machine.

Then, in the case I upgraded to ZASS intended for the Windows 7 machine, I would continue keeping Microsoft Security Essentials as the antivirus, by deactivating the one in ZASS. Yet, I would plan to use the ZASS antivirus as a second line defense to be used on demand in case of need. But please, do not take me wrong, I know that I cannot keep two active antivirus working toghether, so I know I have to deactivate (even to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials in case I need to run the ZASS antivirus).

In summary, my question is

a) Could I upgrade either to Firewall Pro or ZASS from my current license (no both)?
    b) Could I deactivate the ZASS antivirus (ZASS v10) and keep Microsoft Security Essentials togheter ZASS? (As I have done in my XP/SP3 machine).

Kind regards.

ems
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 15th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Default Re: Good upgrading to new ZA12?

Hi and welcome back!

Considering the amount of problems you have with ZA I would avoid ZA10 and wait when a couple of releases will be issued especially if you want to run it with other security tools (not supported and generally to be avoided). ZASS license is only valid for ZASS, the same applies for ZAPRO. You will need to contact official support and ask if it is possible to exchange it and, if yes, how much it will cost.

I am not sure how you managed to keep a V7 license. As far as I am aware recent licenses do not work anymore with version 7. You may be lucky tough

All in all, you are using a seriously outdated version of ZA. IMO, better to shift to alternative tools that are up-to-date then been stuck on this version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Also the version 7 license might not work in 10. Depends where you last renewed your license from. The source of your last renewal which should have been done less than a year ago will determine if it works or not. If you somehow got a 'free' license to run 7 for more than a year, then you have something we will not upgrade or support and you must buy a brand new copy of ZA from our website. We only support license purchases from our website.

Also We don't recommend ever upgraded from anything less than 9.x to 10.

All other versions should be traditionally uninstalled. Then a clean new install of 10 is to be done.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; June 8th, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

ems Guest

Hi,

Thanks to you both for the responses to my post.

The fact is that when I purchased the v7 ZASS license (directly from the Check Point site, of course), I also paid for a two years extended download, which gave me the right to download several releases of version 8. But as I said v8 never worked for me and I finally gave up after having tried time and again diffrent releases of V8; so that when the two years extended download terminated, I decided to keep using ZASS as a firewall and forget the rest of its functionality.

The funny thing is that until a few days, at start up the XP/SP3 machine, I have been being noticed by ZASS that an upgrade to the current installed version v7 was yet available (the 9.3.037.000).

And OK. Now my only concern is whether the current version 10 will run in the Windows7 machine without accident. In the past, I have never had problems with ZA products, not until the V8 came out; and for that I will follow Fax's advice and will wait and see.

Thanks again to everyone

ems.

Uuuhm, please be aware that as far as I know extended download has nothing to do with the license expiration. So two years of extended download does not mean you have two years of a license.

And if ever you will purchase a ZA license do not buy the extended download. You can always download the latest installer from the ZA web page and you can keep old installers in a disk as backup

And if you want to use MSE just buy ZAPRO and not ZASS. Also ZA offer 30 days trial on all software. So try it free before purchasing it.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Yes try version 10 before you buy it. We have 30 day trials of all our software.

So if your one particlular PC does not work with it then you dont have to get a refund.

Only way to know if it works is for you is to try it. Millions use version 9 with no issues at all.

You got a one off issue and its your pc thats the issue no ZA since millions run it just fine with no issues at all.

So try it to find out if you pc is possibly working better and will run ZA right.

ems Guest

Hi again,

I finally tried ZA Pro in trial mode. Downloaded the installer and run it.

No problems during the first part of the installation process. Yet, from what I can guess, the installation process did not terminate OK since neither the installer prompted me to restart the machine nor it restarted by itself as it was suppossed to do, or it used to do in the past.

After the installation process (without restating) the 'Z' icon showed up for a few minutes in the tools bar. I right cliked on the icon and could read more o less that "ZA is configurating, ...etc"; I wait for a few minutes but nothing happend. Finally the 'Z' icon disappeared from the tools bar.

After this I restarted the machine and the 'Z' did not show up either. The user console was not available at all. No sign telling that ZA were looking for networks, or anything else.

Then I inspected which services were running, and vsmon was actually in the list. So the engine seemed to be running but not the user console.

I went ahead, and uninstalled ZA Pro using the windows uninstaller and tried again with the same negative result.

One meaningfull thing is that persistent problem I had with versións V8 & V9 started with same symptoms ("ZA is configuring ... etc"). But this is a brand new machine and a brand new Windows7; nothing to do with the other one.

Fortunatelly in this case my new Windows7 does not seem to have been impaired, contrary to what happened with that installations of the v8 & v9 which left the other XP/SP3 machine pretty unstable and damaged other thir party software (as for example, Paperport).

But just in case I performed a system restore to the pre installation restore point.

I am posting this just for information no complain at all. I wish I could get the firewall installed. That is all.

Regards.

ems

Windows7
    Acer i5 with 6 Gbytes RAM
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Windows Firewall
    Last edited by ems; June 13th, 2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Lot of typos

We install version 10 on fresh installs of OS's all the time with no issues. As long as a just the OS with nothing else installed.

There is something on your PC even your new win 7 acer PC thats causing issues.

We've seen issues with Acer utilities, programs and drivers in the past.

Can you install Win 7 OS without any Acer programs, drivers or anything.

No other programs or drivers either. Only update Win 7 OS with windows updates to make sure its fully up to date then install ZA 10.

If it works you can install one app or driver at a time and find out the offending app and contact the manufacture of that app and tell them they got a bug and there app creates issues for ZA.

If you cant do this kind of install or get it to work maybe its time to evaluate another firewall.

I only say that because you are completely open to attack running anything less than 9.x
    There have been security holes patched over time in versions 8,7,and 6 and I cannot recommend anyone running those because there not protected fully. you may not have had any security issues running older versions but that a False sense of security.

Forum Moderator

Thread Information