Thread: [WORKAROUND] ZA Vsmon hogging CPU

nyarrow Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] ZA Vsmon hogging CPU

Windows XP SP3; ZoneAlarm Version 10.0.240.000

I have had a lot of problems with vsmon hogging the cpu -as have others -when downloading a file. This made the computer unusable for anything else while downloading.

I found a solution suggesting adding W3SVC to the DependOnService entry in the registry but this did not seem to provide the cure on its own. The reasons was there was no vsmon entry in my currentcontrolset, although there was in ControlSet001 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ vsmon). This seemed strange as the CurrentControlSet applied to ControlSet003. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select)

So I tried exporting, via regedit, the vsmon entry from ControlSet001; opened the exported file up and changed the references from ControlSet001 to ControlSet003 and imported. I now had a vsmon entry in my CurrentControlSet. I added W3SVC to the DependOnService entry in the new entry and rebooted. All has been fine since.

****A word of warning****: Playing with Regedit can be deadly; make sure you have a backup and that know what you are doing.

I hope that this is of use to others. (-Or that someone will tell me if I should not have made this change!)

Default Re: VSmon hogging CPU -My Solution

Hi!
    interesting! Thanks...

May be you could write a more "Noob" guide on how to proceed. Since I am sure that some users will have no clue on what W3SVC stands for and where dependecies can be viewed.

Or possibly this is intentional? So novice will not understand a word and thus will not take the risk in editing the registry?

No boligation, only if you feel is useful and needed.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nyarrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    ...May be you could write a more "Noob" guide on how to proceed. Since I am sure that some users will have no clue on what W3SVC stands for and where dependencies can be viewed...
    Thanks, Fax, for your response.
    a) W3SVC stands for 'World Wide Web Publishing Service ' (I didn't know until I looked it up just now! I was going on other poster's recommendations)

b) A noob guide is a great idea. I will leave it for a few days in case someone comes back and points out the error of my ways! Then I will post a simple step by step guide based on regedit.

Nick

OK! Good approach... thanks

I sent your mod suggestion to Dev to look over.

If they have a comment I'll post it.

Thanks

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

nyarrow Guest

Windows XP SP3; ZoneAlarm Version 10.0.240.000

As there have been no comments suggesting an error on my part, below is a noob set of instructions.

A note about security: As I understand it, this change stops ZoneAlarm from monitoring any downloads from the web, implying that 'nasties' could now get to your computer rather than being blocked before they get there. My personal 'overkill' practice is always to scan a file I have downloaded, even though ZoneAlarm and my virus scanner may well have checked it already. Think about the implications and your situation and act accordingly. I can accept no responsibility!

Brief overview of process.
    All we are doing here is to locate a particular registry entry for vsmon; copying it to another location in the registry and then adding a single line of data to stop web-downloads being scanned by ZoneAlarm.

1. Make sure that you have a minimum of a registry backup. By personal preference I use TrueImage to do a full disk backup.

2. Start up Regedit. The application is located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit32.exe. ******Remember that Regedit must be treated very carefully, as it can wreck your system if misused******

3. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select and see which ControlSet is the Current or Default (not '(Default)'), which I assume are usually the same. The REG_DWORD number stored against these two entries indicates the ControlSet and CurrentControlSet. (So 3 stored against Default, indicates ControlSet003.)

4. Additionally look at the number stored against LastKnownGood and Failed.

5. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es and look for a folder named vsmon (i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon)

6. Inside the folder will be about 11 entries, probably starting with (Default), and including DependOnService

7. If it present then go to step 19 below in order to add W3SVC.

8. I assume now that there is no 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\vsmon' folder.

9. Locate the vsmon folder within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00[LastKnownGood]\Services\ where [LastKnownGood] is the number from step 4 above.

10. If there is no vsmon folder here, try the [Failed] controlset -i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00[Failed]\Services\

11. If you have to use the Failed path, this could mean that it was the vsmon entries that caused the ControlSet to fail! -although I would suspect that this is unlikely unless your computer crashed is relation to something to do with ZoneAlarm.

12. So we now have found a vsmon folder within the registry which includes an entry called DependOnService

13. Right Click on the folder name, vsmon, and select export. Alternatively, select the vsmon folder and select Export... under the File Menu. Save the file as a Registration File (.reg) to a suitable place, I suggest calling the export vsmon and save to desktop, but that is my preference. So my file is called vsmon.reg

14. Open vsmon.reg with a text editor, e.g. Notepad.

15. There should be one or two entries of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00[LastKnownGood]\Services\vsmon (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00[Failed]\Services\vsmon.) Change these to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00[Default]\Services\vsmon

16. Save the edited vsmon.reg file. (Make sure that it is still *.reg and not *.txt!)

17. Return to Regedit32.exe and import your edited file. (File/Import...)

18. Look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ and it should now have the vsmon folder.

19. Finally, in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon folder, look for the DependOnService entry.

20. Open this up and it may have the following entries:
    RpcSs
    CryptSvc
    vsdatant

21. So that vsmon does not check web downloads, add W3SVC to the end of the list in step 20 above, making sure that you do not delete the other entries. Close DependOnService.

22. Close Regedit and reboot.

All being well, next time you download something from your web browser, vsmon will not hog the cpu time.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fax; June 20th, 2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: bolding important text

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the noob guide. Veru much appreciated.

I have highlithed some parts of the text since I consider it very important for the user to know before he/she proceed further. I have also revised the title to reflect the solution with standard format we apply here.

Fax

nyarrow Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the noob guide. Veru much appreciated.

I have highlithed some parts of the text since I consider it very important for the user to know before he/she proceed further. I have also revised the title to reflect the solution with standard format we apply here.

Fax
    Many thanks Fax. I hope it helps solve other people's problems.

mdregman Guest

Fax
    ZoneAlarm version: 10.0.241.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.241.000
    Driver version: 10.0.241.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1054546720
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

I am in process of having Tech Support look at Diagnostic upload to investigate why vsmon.exe hogs my CPU even while not downloading. Would you think that being on a broadband cable lan would cause this. Hopefully there is a simpler way for us medium skilled users to get ZAES to work.

nyarrow Guest

Default Re: [WORKAROUND] ZA Vsmon hogging CPU

Further to my posting of a 'solution' above I have now discovered that my suggestion causes problems. The system tray icon for ZoneAlarm (10.0.240 and 243.00) now shows permanent initialization and the system error log is filled with reports of needing W3SVC.

So back to having VSmon hogging the system...

Thread Information