Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WORKAROUND] ZoneAlarm doesn't show up in taskbar anymore

digitman Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] ZoneAlarm doesn't show up in taskbar anymore

Hi. I'm running the latest version of zone alarm personal firewall on windows 2000.
    The firewall has been running fine for a few months, but today it suddenely stopped showing up in the windows taskbar. I tried to run the file 'zclient.exe' manually and i got an error message saying:
    "Access to the specified file, device, or machine is denied"Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried uninstalling and re-installing several times but this thing won't go away.I've uninstalled zonealarm for now and I'm downloading another firewall, but I really want to fix this asap and go back to zone alarm.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

digiseagull Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm doesn't show up in taskbar anymore

Same problem here with Windows XP Home Sp2.
    I had zlsSetup_65_725_000_de.exe instaled, but now I went back to zlsSetup_61_744_001_de.exe.

Deinstaling and reinstalling zlsSetup_65_725_000_de.exe didn't help.
    The only result was that Avira AntiVir Classic didn't work anymore either (which was the main reason to go back to ZoneAlarm Version:6.1.744.001)

Message Edited by DigiSeagull on 07-05-2006 10:48 PM

digitman Guest

Digiseagull, can you do other things such as copy and waste? My windows seems to have seriously screwed up. I can't even copy and paste or open most of the programs.

luca_bongioanni Guest

SAME PROBLEM FOR 2 PCs WITH XP PRO SP2 ITALIAN

I CAN NOT SEE TRAY ICON, I CAN NOT KILL ZLCLIENT.EXE IN TASK MANAGER

BYE

LUCA

digitman Guest

Howdy.

Nevermind about what I said about my computer being messed up in my last post, I was actually running my computer in safe mode. I restarted and everything is fine now, except zone alarm is still not showing up in the taskbar:womanmad:

digiseagull Guest

I could do about anything I wanted with my PC, unlike some of the horror stories I read elsewhere on the forum.What I couldn't do was either manually start zlclient.exe (no permission) or kill the zlclient.exe process.And ofcourse ZoneAlarm didn't show in the systemtray.I don't know if I had internet access or not, since Ipulled the internet cable out of the PC the moment I realised my Firewall wasn't working(first message I ever received from Windows XP that was actually usefull) I didn't doa complete uninstall/re-install as described inhttp://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=52266I did a normal deinstall of 6.5 (without the /clean tag) andreinstalled 6.1 (the previous version), waiting for things to improve.With all the complaints in this forum it can't be too long before ZoneLabs releases a version of 6.5 that actually works.BTW I use ZoneAlarmFree.

Message Edited by DigiSeagull on 07-06-2006 05:45 AM

seberle Guest

I am having the same problem. The ZA icon has disappeared from my tray and I cannot manually start the program. Has anyone found a solution yet? I have gone to another firewall for the time being.

Also, I could not log on to the local wireless network until I uninstalled ZA and used a different firewall.

updatemike Guest

I have the exact same problem on one of my computers. And you know, it was after a fresh install of Windows XP (though fully up to date as far as updates are concerned)! No other program was installed, certainly not any security related programs... *Sigh* I've gone back to 6.1 on all my computers. I swear, one of these days I'm gonna say goodbye to Zone Labs.Big problems as well,when we went from 4.5 to 5, if I can remember correctly. Either way, it was a major upgrade. Just like now. And I've had enough.

karipallu Guest

Hello

I also have the same problem, i.e. ZoneAlarm icon not showing up in system tray. Running Windows XP Pro and ZoneAlarm Free. Problem started after upgrading using zlsSetup_65_725_xxx.

Problem does not occur on every boot (say, 2 out of 3). zlsclient shows on Task Manager but cannot be killed. And trying to start another one gives that "no access"-message. After 1-2 reboots ZoneAlarm comes up normally. I have not tried to verify whether firewall is active or not when client icon does not show up. Since this is a home system, it is more of an annoyance than killer bug. Just some bad language and reboot .

ludvik Guest

The same problem with Win 2000 Pro and ZoneAlarm free (latest version).
    TrueVector Monitor is running, only the Control Center won't start. Starting ZA manually doesn't succeed, since it is already running!

I ALMOST managed to make it work:
    - I started the machine in the Safe Mode and changed the True Vector Startup type to "Manual"
    - After the reboot in a normal mode, ZA doesn't start automatically, and I can run it manually. TrueVector Monitor starts, the ZA icon appears in the systemtray, Control Center can be launched and I can configure the ZA. The red and green bars in the ZA icon on the systemtray move - it seems ZA works (except it doesn't start automatically).

Let's hope the guys will do some overtime job :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information