Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with ForceField toolbar in Extreme 10.

stormsy Guest

Angry Problems with ForceField toolbar in Extreme 10.

Hi,

I thought I would try out a trial version of Extreme version 10 to see if it would work on my computer (Windows 7 32-bit, SP1, up-to-date with updates). I used the full setup file (249 MB size) (which I got from the ZA release history page) and not the web-installer.

Installation went smoothly - double clicked on FireFox 3.6.17 and ta-da! No toolbar what-so-ever present in FireFox. When I mean "forcefield toolbar" I mean; no site status icon, no private browsing icon, no protection activity icon - nothing, except for a small spanner icon on the right hand side underneath the search bar. And when I click on that, nothing happens! It's also worth saying that I tried IE 8 - same thing happens as with FireFox 3.6.17.

I thought I'd try doing a clean install of FireFox 4.0.1 - same issue too! I then reinstalled Extreme version 10 clean thinking that might sort it out - no luck!

I have to use Extreme as I have 7 days left on my stand-alone version of ForceField (and since ZA have pulled the product, the only way to get ForceField is to use Extreme - hence trying it out before buying it.) Currently I have ZAISS version 9.3 installed.

I've contact Support about this, and they have reported it to the Development team, but when I asked if any other reports have surfaced similar to this, they said no. I queried about the time to sort this issue out - no ETA; they'll get around to it when they can (!).

I can't continue using FireFox 3.6.17 as Mozilla are pulling that due to security issues (i.e.; no more updates) and so I have to upgrade to FireFoex 4.0.1 - but I can't as Extreme version 10 won't work and Extreme version 9 is incompatible with FireFox 4.0.1.

I also tried the trial of Extreme version 10 on my Vista 32-bit, SP2 (and updated fully) laptop - same thing occurred! I also reported that to TechSupport as well.

If there are any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Stormsy.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 20th, 2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Removed off-topic comments

Default Re: Problems with ForceField toolbar in Extreme 10.

Sorry no suggestion. Keep following with support and if you don't get good sign of addressing the problem then better not to renew.

Have you tried the beta in the past? Some earlier versions of the beta could mess up the registry and you will not get the toolbar back even when installing the current version. Also some failed install could lead to the same problem.

The only way I could fix it is to restore windows 7 to a restore point previous than any ZA beta install (you need to remove your current ZA for the restore point to work).

Finally some users had success by running the ZA clean-up utility. Ensure that you are using the latest version of the tool. The latest version (to date) has been digitally signed the 10 of June. You find it here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Currently I am running ZAX 10 in win7 SP1 and IE9 without any problem.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stormsy Guest

Thanks for the reply Fax,

Well I can't renew ForceField since I'm using the stand-alone version and they pulled it from the shelves so that is a dead-end. I have about 80 days left on ZA Internet Suite and I'm considering alternative vendors at the moment.

I really like ForceField - that was one of the reason's why I purchased it, but all these problems with it is giving me second thoughts.

I made sure that there were no traces left of ZAISS or ForceField - I used the cleaning utility and CCleaner as well, so in that sense there should've have been a problem since I was installing on a fresh, clean system.

The thing is, I tried it on my Vista laptop and no luck, surely there must be a bug somewhere in the coding?

For the record; do you have the site status icon, the protection activity icon and the private browsing icon? Is there a little spanner in the right hand side under the search bar?

I'll continue checking with TechSupport -but I am not sure how far I will get.

Thanks for your help,
    Stormsy.
    Last edited by fax; June 20th, 2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by stormsy View Post
    For the record; do you have the site status icon, the protection activity icon and the private browsing icon? Is there a little spanner in the right hand side under the search bar?
    Hi!
    Here what I currently see:

On a clean and freshly installed machine I don't see why it should not work. ZA makes tests on clean machines, so for sure there is something more there than standard OS.
    Last edited by fax; June 20th, 2011 at 07:58 AM.

stormsy Guest

Hey,

No - I didn't get that. Looks nice, ZA have certainly revamped it!

Did you use the web-installer or the full file setup?

Stormsy.

Uuuhm... it was the full installer.
    Try the clean.exe to see if it makes any difference. Also try to move to IE9 before installing ZA.
    May be it could help cleaning up some problems?
    Last edited by fax; June 20th, 2011 at 08:16 AM.

stormsy Guest

Well, I did the following;

Uninstalled FireFox 4.0.1 > unticked "Load ZA at startup" > uninstalled ZAES > reboot > went into MSCONFIG and unticked all non-MS services> reboot > ran the clean.exe > reboot > installed FireFox 4.0.1 > installed ZAES version 10. The outcome - it didn't work.

I followed that sequence on both my PC (which is custom built, Win7 32-bit, SP1) and my laptop (Dell, Vista 32-bit, SP2). Both machines are not identical to each other (different drivers, processors etc), yet on both machines the toolbar will not display!

This is annoying me - neither PC runs the eact same software yet both are displaying the same issues.

TechSupport couldn't help either - they gave me the exact same advice that I had everytime I went to chat.

I do not know what to do... Renewal is looking highly unlikely at the moment.
    Stormsy.
    Last edited by fax; June 20th, 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: offtopic

Doing trial of ZAES 10.

Did you use this tool to remove the stanalone version of ForceField before running clean.exe

ff_cleanup.zip, youll find the link at Web Security/Browser Virtualizations.
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...ff_cleanup.zip

Had it running in both in IE8 And Firefox 3.6.17.Install 4.0.1 over the top.No issues.Then added Security type Add-ons in Firefox and that broke ForceField Toolbar in Firefox.I was not able to reinstall toolbar in Firefox again.After 6 attempts I gave up.Even tried clean 4.0.1 with same results.

Works in IE8 without issues but browser not as fast as Firefox.

Have ditch Firefox all together.Version 5 coming out very soon.Version 6,7, & 8 before the year is out.A whole new can of worms.

Using XP SP3 & stuck with IE8.Will upgrade from ZASS and only because of ForceField Toolbar working on that browser.

Reported issue with Support 10 days ago.

Have a nice Day

Addendum :

Got it going this time.Download a fresh copy of Firefox 4.0.1.Then untick Load Zone Alarm at startup and reboot.

Removed ZoneAlarm by going to Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.After reboot ran clean.exe and restart.

Install 4.0.1 and configured Firefox.I installed Adblock Plus and WOT without issue.Don't try to install NoScript.It won't work with ForceField Toolbar.

Ran ZASPSetup_100_240_000_en.exe copy full installer from one of my folders to desktop.Installed ok.Turn ON Browser Virtualization.Everything working.IE8 and Firefox 4.0.1.

When you click Private Browser icon in Firefox it loads another browser but doesn't show blue banner " Private Browser " like in IE8.It shows Site Check icon but no blue banner Private Browser.Must be by design.I guess because no Private Browser icon showing.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; June 21st, 2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Reported issue, Addendum, added link to FF cleanup tool

stormsy Guest

Hi Sky Soldiers,

Interesting you mention about the "ff_cleanup.zip" to remove stand-alone version of ForceField beofre running clean.exe - I did not use that, I always uninstalled ForceField using it's built in uninstaller and then using clean.exe. to remove ZA; you may have given me one last thing to try.

It's also interesting what you are saying about Security type add-ons not working with ForceField - have you tried installing "BetterPrivacy" and seeing if that works (it deletes LSO and ever-cookies from Flash player). I know you probably have done this, but did you turn off Broswer Virtualisation before installing any add-ons, then after installing the add-ons turning browser virtualisation back on and clearing the virtual data cahe? That is what I do with the stand-alone ForceField when updating Flash player or a different add-on.

Instead of clicking on "private Browsing" from within FireFox, try right-clicking on the Z icon and then selecting "Private Browsing" from the context menu - see what happens then.

At least you have got it working - I will try that "FF_cleanup.zip" file and try installing ZA one last time; but I have a feeling it won't work.

I tried installing ZAES onto my Vista Laptop (which ran Kaspersky) - I reomved Kaspersky using their removal tool and then when I installed the trial of ZAES first time round (no presence of ForceField what-so-ever) it did not work.

Two different machines - running different versions of Win OS, no same software yet not installing ZAES ForceField toolbar - tell me that, that is no coincidence? :S

Stormsy.

NoScript is a Security type add-ons.I used it on standalone ForcdField.NoScript won't work on new ForceField Security Toolbar.

When updating Firefox, Add-ons, Plugins turn OFF Browser Virtualisation.

Right-clicking on the Z icon and then selecting "Private Browsing" from the context menu no longer an option.

The reason ForceField Security Toolbar doesn't work is because this issue occurs if a new browser is installed after ZoneAlarm.

Firefox 4.0.1 needs to be install before installing ZAES 10.

Browser Virtualisation is OFF by default on install.So you need to turn it ON.

You can try Add-ons.If the ForceField Security Toolbar disappears from the browser, Add-ons is not compatible.Just uninstall it and you should get the ForceField Security Toolbar back.

This worked for me.

Have a nice Day

Footnote :

I have the following Add-ons install without issue so far that I can see : WOT, Adblock Plus, and BetterPrivacy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information