Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with ForceField toolbar in Extreme 10.

stormsy Guest

Default Re: Problems with ForceField toolbar in Extreme 10.

Hey,

I somehow managed to get the toolbar working! YAY! I could get the site status icon, private browsing icon, everything!

But then my PC hung for some reason - no response (task manager wouldn't appear) and I had to do a forced shut-down. That was when it went down hill after that - I couldn't get the site status icon or the private browsing icon to appear in FireFox 4.0.1; I could get the "Z" icon on the left-hand side and it's search box, the little spanner on the right hand side worked (both before the forced shut-down and after), but the two icons decided to not appear after the forced shut-down.

My experience with ZAES (whilst I got the toolbar to work) felt buggy to me still - one such experience is that in FireFox 4.0.1, if you have virtualization enabled and then click on "Private Browsing", a new window appears but the blue strip saying "nothing is being recorded" does not appear - exactly like Sky Soldiers posting.

Also, the security toolbar felt better when using IE8 for some reason than FireFox 4.0.1 - despite the fact that the private browsing (and it's little blue strip) worked in IE8 when virtualization was enabled (unlike FireFox) - I'm not sure if extensive testing was conducted with users using FireFox 4.0.1 but it didn't feel that way as I was using FireFox 4.0.1.

I'm still unsure what my next move is - I currently have ZAISS 9.3 installed and might try to install version 10 and see if that works (if not I'll revert back to 9.3); though I wish Extreme would work, I like using ForceField and I like the concept of it with its virtualization software...

Stormsy.

Quote Originally Posted by stormsy View Post
    I couldn't get the site status icon or the private browsing icon to appear in FireFox 4.0.1;
    I have seen this before if the browser hangs. A reboot of the PC should help fixing it combined, if necessary, with a turning OFF of the ZA websecurity, opening of FF, closing of FF, turning ON of web security in ZA.

Quote Originally Posted by stormsy View Post
    in FireFox 4.0.1, if you have virtualization enabled and then click on "Private Browsing", a new window appears but the blue strip saying "nothing is being recorded" does not appear - exactly like Sky Soldiers posting.
    As usual to be reported to support for troubleshooting, logging and escalating (if it is not by design).
    Last edited by fax; June 21st, 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stormsy, Try the ZAES 10 30 free trial.That's what I'm doing right now.You also get Support while on trial.Good luck.

My license will expire in 12 days on ZASS & standalone ForceField.Will upgrade to ZAES 10 in 12 days since issues resolve for me.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 21st, 2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo

stormsy Guest

Sky Soldiers and Guru Fax,

Could you clarify a couple of things for me (if applicable)?

1.) How did you install ZAES? Did you use the full setup file (about 247 MB in size)?

2.) Were you connected to the internet during installation of ZAES?

3.) Was FireFox 4.0.1 installed before installing ZAES?

4.) Do you currently have virtualization enabled?
    I'm not sure why, but everytime I talk to TechSupport they ask if virtualization is turned off, can you explain as to why they ask this?

5.) What is the suggested method in dealing with the security toolbar if I need to update a browser plug-in (say; Adobe Flash Player)?

6.) (Last one, I promise!) Was the file "FF_cleanup.zip" used to remove stand-alone version of ForceField?

I apologise for any inconvenience caused; your suggestions have been greatly appreciated!

Stormsy.

1,2,3 = Yes
    4 = Yes (its important for troubleshooting to know the settings)
    5 = Turn OFF Virtualization (same as with previous versions)
    6 = Not used.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Hello,

Its better to NOT run ZA with Virtualization turned on all the time.

Many times browsers crash when turned on or lots of compatibility issues with add-ons and plug-ins and website compatibility and application compatibility.

Only use Virtualization for a few select websites. Turn it on by clicking the button in the toolbar. (if the toolbar works for you)

We are evaluating a new toolbar vendors and hopefully later this year we will have new toolbar technology which works better.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

stormsy, for your questions :

!.) ZASPSetup_100_240_000_en.exe 248 MB full installer

2.) Yes

3.) Yes, 4.0.1 installed before installing ZAES 10 or ForceField Security Toolbar won't work.

4.) ON all the time.Turn OFF only when updating Firefox, any Add-ons, Plugins.Then turn back ON, and Clear Virtual Data.

5.) I always turn OFF when updating Firefox, any Add-ons, Plugins

6.) Yes, only the first time when ForceField (standalone) was installed.I ran ff_cleanup and only then.

I run Virtualization ON all the time in Firefox and never had an issue.I know when it needs to be turn OFF.

Browser Virtualization

Allows users the freedom to surf the Web with full protection against malicious attacks like drive-by downloads, and browser and plug-in exploits.

Web Browser & Plug-in Exploit Protection operate each time you visit a website, open a new page or download a file. All threats to you or your PC go to a temporary, virtual version of your browser. If any threats do penetrate your defenses, they can't harm your computer.

This will never happen with Browser Virtualization OFF.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 21st, 2011 at 11:32 AM.

stormsy Guest

All,

I appreciate your responses.

I followed Fax's method - I had managed to get the toolbar working again, but when I turned Virtualization on, tried the net to see if everything was working and I cleared the virtual data - when I opened FireFox 4.0.1 browser, the security toolbar completely disappeared. Afterwards I tried IE8 and even though the toolbar was there, the site status icon and the private browsing icon had disappeared.

I've just spoken to TechSupport - they are getting the same problem as I am (about 1 in every 15 times they install ZAES), however; a fix for this is taking some time (despite being about to push out a new version of ZAES for improved fuction with DataLock) (!).

I cannot comprehend as to why virtualization has to be turned off - if I was paying for a product such as Extreme I would want to use that function all the time, not selectively. Have there ever been any considerations as to developing your own toolbar? :S

Thankyou once again for your help - I shall try a few other ideas i have, but I belive that this issue is a code bug, and nothing on my end.

Stormsy

Check Point is not a toolbar company and we don't have staff on hand with that specialized knowledge so we go with outside companies.

I have even had the issue myself why beta testing the only way I could resolve the issue was to format and reinstall my XP OS with SP3 apply all the MS updates, critical and non-critical. Installed Firefox 4.01. Didn't install any thing else including all the brand specific utility programs from my PC manufacturer. Installed ZA Extreme 10 and then I got the tool bars in both IE8 and FF4.01 with site check and the Virtualization buttons all working.

A bit extreme but it was the only way I could get it to work.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; June 21st, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information