Thread: ZAEX V10 - Bittorrent Slowness

sbsidlov Guest

Question ZAEX V10 - Bittorrent Slowness

Well, I installed the v10 version of the program yesterday.

I generally have been able to find and fix the issues over all the versions I've used all these years, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Symptoms:
    1. I have a 50mb/8mb connection
    2. vsmon is using 48-52% of the cpu all the time
    3. BT has been limited to downloads of a hundred kb or less per torrent when with v9, 2mb was common. I only run 8 torrents concurrently
    4. shutting down ZA allows up to 8mb total torrents speed. As I was typing this, there were only two torrent active, combined they were 60kb download traffic, and the software predicted eta was 21 hours and a week. I turned off ZAX v10 and the speeds shot up to 2.4mb and the eta became 1 min on one torrent and 20 min on the other.

What I have done:
    1. Program examination showed that Auto learn had given superuser to the BT program. I made it 'no enforcement'
    2. I turned off the random port at start and made it a selected port. I added a program expert rule to open the port for tcp/udp in and out.
    3. I went to the Firewall advanced options and on the High and Public Zone Security Settings I opened the TCP/UDP for the port I selected.

All of this IME in the past, should have fixed the issue, but it does not.

I really don't understand what's different, as making the program 'Not Monitored' or even SuperUser used to leave it alone. VSMON appears to be trying to examine each and every packet that the program is generating, even though the port is a 'open port' and the program is Super, etc. This is leading to a severe performance drag, IMHO.

Default Re: ZAEX V10 - Bittorrent Slowness

Sorry all users here. May be ZA has not been designed to play well with P2P? No idea. Did you by chance participated to beta? It could have been useful to feedback developers about it before the release. if not, now its too late.

Not using myself any bittorent, so I would not known how to help. You may want to contact ZA technical support and report about the problem. The link to technical support is in my signature. They do not monitor this user board.

Your point 1 should not have effect on the connection. It is only related to suspicious behavior. I would ensure your network/router is set to TRUSTED in the ZA firewall zone, your DHCP and DNS IPs are TRUSTED too and that any bittorrent process is excluded from the antivirus monitoring. This should avoid vsmon to scan data for malware.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Smile Re: ZAEX V10 - Bittorrent Slowness

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

sorry we are all users here. Otherwise your question on the design of ZA can only be answered by ZA staff or developers that do not monitor this board.

You may want to try to contact the ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

If you find the answer please take the time to post it back, it could help other users with your same question.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

sbsidlov Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Sorry all users here. May be ZA has not been designed to play well with P2P? No idea. Did you by chance participated to beta? It could have been useful to feedback developers about it before the release. if not, now its too late.
    I did beta a version or two back, but it screwed up my licenses. I have multiple licenses and run ZA on a number of computers. I need to do other things besides BT, so, having something partially working or not is just a PITA. Since they just released THIS version that's compatible with 'new', and Mozillla is going to release multiple versions of FF in the next year, I wonder how long I can continue to stay with the product. I actually have switched to Chrome for most stuff because, Google builds most of the AV/As stuff right in their products.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Your point 1 should not have effect on the connection. It is only related to suspicious behavior. I would ensure your network/router is set to TRUSTED in the ZA firewall zone, your DHCP and DNS IPs are TRUSTED too and that any bittorrent process is excluded from the antivirus monitoring. This should avoid vsmon to scan data for malware.
    Well the standard network was properly put into the Trusted Zone as was the DHCP server, which is a first time for me. There's a bunch of NAS stuff that I put in, but that's to be expected if the shares aren't auto-mounted as drives, right?

I should make the BT program a Trusted Process? I've never done that before. Let me give it a try, but I think that when you did SuperUser or No Enforcement in the past that was enough. Humm, I made the change, and picked a new torrent that was well seeded, etc. and I am getting a megabit. But the vsmon.exe is still running 48-53%. So this might be a partial solution, I have to see what happens with multiple torrents simultaneously. Nope, not enough, with ZAX on, there was download speeds of up to a megabit, and off, for three torrents, it jumped to 4.5mb.

I have noticed that while the software is set to Auto, it changes "Manual" on the program controls when you mod it, to Auto on the next boot. Not a biggie, but it would be better if it left that alone so you can id it.

Sorry, I have no other suggestions for you.
    Please follow up with technical support directly and report the problem...

Thanks,
    Fax

sbsidlov Guest

I'm posting this as an update. Please remember, I'm a many years and many computer user of ZAX.

I spoke for an hour with Tech support. Having to reboot my computer several times to comply with the IMHO and IME, STUPID, requests 'to see what's the problem'.

What did we learn?

1. No matter what Tech says, simply existing and restarting ZAX v10 gives the same results as rebooting. Don't forget to copy your Chat ID/Ticket to a file so you can relog onto the same tech (most of the time). A number of extensive dumps were 'sent' to the developers according to the tech support. I didn't even get a confirming email.

2. Even with open ports at the firewall levels public and not, SuperUser/No Enforcement, application firewall rules, etc, VSMON isn't listening. (and maybe that's a good thing, but it's too friggin* slow)

3. I write my BT temporarily to a separate drive (nothing else uses it). I told the software I didn't want that drive checked. No joy, VSMON continues to eat resources (50%) while BT only uses 2%.

4. A well populated BT might get 1.4mb for a while, but the ever changing peers does something to strangle vsmon. Generally, I'm not getting more than 500kb and it continues to go slower over time. When I shut ZAX it pops up to 4.5-6Mb which is what I should get on a 50/8mb web connection on a popular and well seeded couple of concurrent torrents. Hey, I'd be happy with half of that. BT that says it will take a week with ZAX on, is 5 min or less with it off. While vsmon has always been a bit of a drag, this is not bearable. If I'm loading up a bunch of stuff to download, I want it as fast as I can have it. Not when ZAX feels like it.

5. "You may have to wait for the next release to get a fix" - Tech Support.
    Last edited by sbsidlov; June 23rd, 2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: grammer

I understand your frustration and thank you for your reporting. You have sent the log so now its only matter of waiting for a fix if development will be able to replicate the issue in the labs. For changes to the core of ZA you may need to wait for major releases. No ETA for the next major revision.

I am closing this thread for the time being since we are all users here and we cannot address your problem . As soon as you have news please do not hesitate to PM me for re-opening it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information